Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever take Hiway 36 across Kansas

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 AM
rubber01
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever take Hiway 36 across Kansas

I am heading to Utah from Alton, Il. in June and was contemplating going north and picking up 36 west across Missouri, kansas and Colorado connecting back into I70 at Denver for the trip over the Mountains. Would taking this route rather than the interstate be a problem do to small towns and 35 mile per hour limits or worth it because of the lack of traffic. I am assuming it will take longer due to the 65 mile per hour limit on secondary roads.

Randy

Old 05-10-2009, 11:16 AM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it!!! Last summer I decided to try old 36 versus I70 across northern Missouri and Kansas. So much better than I70. The road is 4 lane mostly in Missouri and 2 lane mostly in Kansas. The small towns break up the monoteny of Kansas...somehow the rolling hills and farms seem much more interesting. I had no problems with gas or food along the way and you can actually make pretty good time. It's like taking a route 66 trip versus the interstate. Much recommended.

Originally Posted by rubber01
I am heading to Utah from Alton, Il. in June and was contemplating going north and picking up 36 west across Missouri, kansas and Colorado connecting back into I70 at Denver for the trip over the Mountains. Would taking this route rather than the interstate be a problem do to small towns and 35 mile per hour limits or worth it because of the lack of traffic. I am assuming it will take longer due to the 65 mile per hour limit on secondary roads.

Randy

Old 05-10-2009, 11:19 AM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, take it. I've ridden it all the way across and it is a really nice route. Not even a thing like I-70. You won't regret it.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:35 AM
rubber01
Novice
Default Thanks for the info

I will take 36. Thanks again.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:50 PM
bradja
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes

About 20 years ago. And that's nearly how long since I've owned a motorcycle. Recently first Harley RK and I'll be back out there in June myself, starting from Champaign IL. My plan will be to avoid Denver and cross the front range cities at Loveland. Then up over Trial Ridge in RMNP. US34 to US40 and West.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:14 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hwy 24 is another good option through Kansas. I road it at the end of last summer.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:47 PM
07fsxt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

might be to far south for you, but hwy. 160 is a good route.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:57 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting question ... I lived in Cocordia, KS, (south of 36 and north of 24) for 6 years before moving to southern Utah. In fact I still own a house in Concordia, KS. I've been on both 36 and 24 many times, and have ridden them going and coming from Colorado/Utah. Here's a couple links and hot spots to hit along the way ...

US Highway 36 Website

If you like sprint car racing then Belleville, KS (Republic County) has the "fastest 1/2 mile dirt track in the world."

When you get to Washington County be sure to take a look at Hollenberg Pony Express Station & Visitors Center. Any Harley rider that thinks they are in the saddle a long time has nothing on the Pony Express guys.

As you come into Kansas take a look for the Missouri River Four-State Lookout which is in Doniphan County. The eastern part of the state has rolling hills and lots of trees ... something you'll miss by the time you get to the west side of the state.

If you're considering Highway 24 as well then you'll want to take a look at Mile by Mile, the website with some interesting points of interest along the various back roads.

http://www.milebymile.com

Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Dirt-Kid
Advanced

Make sure you drop down into Cawker City Kansas and see the worlds largest ball of twine.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:43 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in North East Kansas near 36 hwy and I recommend it more so than I 70 or 24 hwy but, neither is going to make it on to the best riding roads in the US...

Take 36 to 34 to 40 and then down to I 70, avoid Denver at all costs. this is a great ride

Quick Reply: Anyone ever take Hiway 36 across Kansas