Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How high is "high mileage"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 PM
dailydriver
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! high milage to water-cooled in 2 pages...1st whats the big deal about a watercooled bike I rode a v-rod for a year and it was a great ride put that in a bagger and I'm sold...2nd I've had several bike with well over 50k on them after 3 years of ownership and never had a problem with trading them in on a newer bike...

Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts
Default High Milage

On the surface I wouldnt be concerned at all about buying a Harley with over 50k on the clock , if they can back up "only drove to church on Sunday" ..
[/QUOTE]

That Church must not be close AND ALOT of Sundays

Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2000 EGC has 37k and has no issues. I take care of it and have upgraded it with geared cams, cruise, stage 1, etc. I'm 58 years young and I have no plans to upgrade to a "new" bike. This bike is already about 99% of what I want in a bike, so why change? I do most of my own wrenching (hey, it's a hobby, right?), and unless I go down for some reason, this will probably get me where I'm going. I use the bike for commuting 30 miles one way from Spring thru Fall, and most are highway miles. The only reliability issue I ever had was from two PCIII's that failed, and the plastic cam chain tensioners that I've replaced with gears. You know, when it comes right down to it, these are pretty simple machines. As long as you take care of the motor and tranny, everything else just requires basic maintenance. But, as has been said, there are a LOT of low mileage bikes out there at a good price. Just find what you like and make it yours. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 PM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is 142k miles too many??? not for me,'''2000 uc,,, we just did a 1000 + mile trip no problems bike still runs strong (probably stronger than alot of the newer ones,,,,, 125tq, 108hp)

Old 05-11-2009, 10:54 PM
onthelo
Road Master

Just for a little refernce I bought my bike from the original owner who rode it practically daily freeway miles but it is an 02 with 74k on the speedo. I just did a tuneup on the bike and since I finished building it its been running fine. No smoke, easy start, every weekend i out at least 10-15 hours on it. The main thing I believe is also everything else ex: brakes, tires, bearings, shocks, cables, such. I basically restored my bike replacing damn near everything so i have no concerns when I go riding and when I go to sell it I have no doubt it will give the new owner many years of riding. Than when the time comes maybe a small rebuild a few grand no biggie I mean I already replaced everything else..lol... so just my .02 i couldnt afford a more expensive bike either..although I dumped a ton into restoring her.. but oh well the satisfaction of building it is priceless. Good luck my friend there are many good bikes out there choose wisely.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:43 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by imrotton2
is 142k miles too many??? not for me,'''2000 uc,,, we just did a 1000 + mile trip no problems bike still runs strong (probably stronger than alot of the newer ones,,,,, 125tq, 108hp)
Nah aint too many , had two I put waay more than that on

Old 05-14-2009, 05:00 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

High mileage in itself is not the issue- LOW MAINTAIANANCE IS-. However I gotta be honest here.......Monday I traded in my 99 Carbed Glide(1550 with 203 cams) with 50000 miles on it towards a new 2009 E Glide standard with 4 miles. Sometimes you don't realize how ****ty your old bike is until you ride a new,and my bike was well taken care of but still had issues like a mashed potato felling tranny and other rattles that just got on my nerves. Bottom line I would go for a low mileage/late model as you can afford BUT it has to have some kind of service history or your pissing in the wind.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hogdad
High mileage in itself is not the issue- LOW MAINTAIANANCE IS-. However I gotta be honest here.......Monday I traded in my 99 Carbed Glide(1550 with 203 cams) with 50000 miles on it towards a new 2009 E Glide standard with 4 miles. Sometimes you don't realize how ****ty your old bike is until you ride a new,and my bike was well taken care of but still had issues like a mashed potato felling tranny and other rattles that just got on my nerves. Bottom line I would go for a low mileage/late model as you can afford BUT it has to have some kind of service history or your pissing in the wind.
I sold my '88 with 342000 on it for the '08 , I hear ya ..

Old 05-15-2009, 12:13 AM
onthelo
Road Master

Originally Posted by hogdad
how much they give ya for it if you don't mind me asking.. each state has different cost probably but id be curious to get some ideas.. thanks enjoy the new bike

Old 05-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BaggerDriver, I've never had a car go that many miles. That's awesome! Maybe YOU should make some maintenance videos -- you obviously know how to take care of a bike.

Quick Reply: How high is "high mileage"?