Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How high is "high mileage"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:02 AM
cfoster80
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
This question seems to come up every now and then. Like a car, it depends on how those miles added up: street vs Highway and on how the cycle was generally maintained. I've talked with riders whose cycles are over 100,000 and they say that other than being a bit "looser", they ride find. Some riders consider 30,000 to be too high of mileage for their tastes while others talk up the fact that their cycle has over 50K. A friend of mine, a few years ago, bought a 8 year old Electria Glide with around 75K; it looks and rides like a new machine.

A lot of your choice will depend on how long you want to keep the cycle and what you're paying for it.
Very good advice. I have a family friend that rode EVO EGC with over 100,000 miles on it (and this dude rides like its his job). Yes he did his own work on the bike but it was all top end preventive maintance stuff. He finally bought a twin cam couple years back and he just rides and rides and does his maintance like always. No problems. My opinion is due to my friends and familys pasts and that it is all how the bike or even the car (like streetglider57 said) is maintained and kept up on.

Bottom line ask the seller and find out what he knows about the bike and if has reciepts or if he is motor head. That is the easiest thing you should be able to tell one way or the other.
Good Luck.

Last edited by cfoster80; 05-16-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:41 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin Springer
I have to tell you I am amazed at how long twin cams and evos go. I purchased an 01 road king classic with 120,000 miles on it (price definitely reflected that). It had all maintenence records and service history. Syn oil since new, fully serviced every 5000 miles, tensioners let go at 70k.

When you ride this bike, if you did not look at the odo you would think it was new or slightly used. It rides no differently than my road king with 6,000 miles on it. I bought this bike as a spare for my son to ride on trips with me.

I know some folks badmouth harley reliability as the reason that they bought metric. When they see this bike it shuts them up real quick. It still even looks new! As a matter of fact on a ride with 15 other bikes the other day the only one that limped home with mechanical issues was a metric.

So heres the thing, the price must reflect the miles, and the history of the bike must be known. And of course you must understand you may have higher maintainence costs than with a low mile bike, just be prepared.

I have seen people able to destroy an auto in one year where other people have something for 50 years. So who owned it matters alot.

Most of you guys that have posted photos of your bikes must be proud, those suckers look awesome!! Nobody would at all know by looking the experiences those bikes have taken their riders to.
This is a very true statement .. We bought an '86 WG for sweetie , from a friend , he had quit riding it , been parked over a year .. We spent close to a grand getting it in safe running order before I let her ride it alone ..
Several things to consider , if its been sitting ..
I dont care how good they look , the tires are history , no discussion ..
Battery , even if the old one holds a charge .. history , no discussion ..
also dont overlook the voltage regulator
plugs and plug wires

dont be surprised if you start getting some weeping around gaskets

Last edited by JacktheBagger; 05-16-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:58 AM
wingman1946
Cruiser

Now they were rebuilt , the 84 once on bottom and twice on top and 88 three tops and two bottoms .. I think , IIRC ..

Now we have the rest of the story!

Old 05-16-2009, 01:37 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Now if ya want ta talk endurance , back in the mid 90's there were two EVO baggers in NC that were tore down with over 350,000 on each one , forget exact mileage , but both got new rings and were put back together ..

There is supposed to be an EVO at the HD museum with 500,000 on the factory build ..

Old 01-08-2010, 03:27 PM
dukester
Advanced

A buddy has 112K on a 2000 Ultra - he just had the cam adjusters replaced, but other than that, he has had no problems, and he says the bikes rides great . ..

Old 01-08-2010, 09:53 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerDriver
Rode 5555555555555.0002233 miles for the season
dude, how long is your season? thats a lot of miles, how many bikes did you go through?

to the op, an 03 with 53k on the clock is not really all that much. your looking at less than 8k per year on average. my 07 has 37k on it now, and i wouldn't hesitate to take a trip on it at all.

Originally Posted by riteway
Why take a chance UNLESS you are getting on Heck of a deal..AND not planing on going on many LONG trips!! Just my .02... Good Luck!!!!! R.W.
i'd give you one of those 2 pennies back. there is absolutely no reason why he should not plan on taking long trips on a bike with that mileage. these bikes are built to ride, not pose. though they do both very well. as long as the machine is well taken care of, i don't consider mileage an issue at all. of course, all things being equal, i would take the bike with less mileage on it. but that is just common sense

Last edited by skratch; 01-08-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 AM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BaggerDriver
I sold my '88 with 342000 on it for the '08 , I hear ya ..
Any service history on that ? Rebuilds etc ?