Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with contact lenses

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
cigar06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding with contact lenses

Would appreciate any comments you have on your experience in riding with contact lenses.

I have worn glasses for 15 years once the eyes started to lose near vision focus ability. Typical aging thing. Riding with glasses is a PIA, especially rain, and have been thinking about considering contacts to simplify things. However, rider friends have given me their opinion on both sides of the fence regarding switching to contacts - one who wears contacts says stay with glasses, and another says it is ok if you have good wrap around sunglasses or goggles.

Thank you.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Spanky09FatBoy
6th Gear

i have contacts and must where good glasses or they dry out. Really for any kind of interstate driveing i Need goggles, even the foam lined glasses dont cut it

Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. Goggles are a must with contact lens. I wear goggles when I'm on longer rides and I don't wear contact lenses.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 PM
iceman5218
Road Captain

My full face does the trick for me. Had contacts for 14 years and been riding hard the last year with no probs.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 PM
badjustbad
Tourer

I wore my contacts too long when I was younger and was told to give them a rest for a year or two. When I went back to them I couldn't wear them for everyday use because my eyes are now too dry so I just wore them for sports. I found that putting the contacts in for a short ride was a PITA so I priced out some Rx sunglasses that I could just throw on for a trip to the liquor store but they were something like $800. <ouch> I bit the bullet and spend $3000 on laser surgery. Yeahaaw! I can see again. Ooops, now I need glasses to read the friggin menu. Oh well, I can ride. <G>

Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Having had Lasik in 2003 (after 22 years of wearing contacts), my recommendation is Panoptx (now called 7Eye). I wear the SR100 Diablo glasses with the 24/7 lenses, so I don't have to swap out the lenses.

The eye-cup is removable, but will make life much easier in terms of keeping the eyes in good shape. I can tell you that H-D also makes some good glasses that have Carl Zeiss lenses with very good clarity and they too have a removable eye-cup.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 PM
NICK_AK
6th Gear

I've worn my focus dailies with wileyx wraparounds for a couple years with no problems at all. the glasses do have the foam around em and i have one of those strap thingy's so they kinda fit like goggles. like i said, no problems at all for 14hr days of riding with or without windshield. everyone's different though. can't hurt to try. sincerely, Nick

Old 05-11-2009, 11:57 PM
deluxe drew
Intermediate

+1 on Panoptyx/7Eye

I wear contacts and use the 24/7 lenses w/ dust cup and have zero issues... I have awful vision and I can't stand to wear glasses because of the blurred periphery.

Can't say enough about those glasses though... They are almost 2 years old and have held up great.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:06 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I wear contacts and my oakleys. The only problem I have is that I can't see close. So I carry a pair of walmart specials +2.00. I am riding a road king with a windshield too.

The contacts are great, I don't have any problems with them drying out. Some of the new contacts are really good.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:44 AM
EVO80
Road Captain

I've been wearing soft contact lenes since sometime in the 80's (and riding longer than that) and have found the only way I can ride a bike wearing contacts is with goggles on. I generally buy inexpensive goggles at ralleys as I lose them, scratch them or wear them out - as long as they have foam all the way around they work. They keep the dirt out and helps keep the lenes from drying out to the point where they feel like they are going to fall out of my eye. Also, I switched to a low moisture lens which helps as they don't suck as much mositure from my eye which makes my eyes itch at the end of the day.

Quick Reply: Riding with contact lenses