Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD's Worst Design - Batwing Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:11 PM
jdag
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD's Worst Design - Batwing Fairing

OK...so not hte fairing itself. But the method used to attach the outer fairing to the inner fairing.

The use of brass inserts to attach the fairing sections is lame, to say the least. I had an insert pop out on me. I then used the replacement part #16585-96 which has external threads to form a tighter bond with the plastic inner fairing.

Well, the 16585-96 inserts are definitely better suited. The problem is that the darn thing broke while I was installing, and it is only about 1/2 way in. I was able to cut off the remainder of the insert that did not get all the way into the fairing hole, and the outer fairing is reinstalled and nobody (but me) knows the difference.

But my fear is that if I have a problem (stripped insert, that insert comes out, or the plastic itself cracks) I am going to have to replace the inner fairing...all because of a $1.50 insert!

Old 05-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: HD's Worst Design - Batwing Fairing

I agree, but at least you have inserts. My 2000 Roadglide just has plastic with the screws and if you break one of them you are looking at a new outer fairing. I've already had to use the longer screws in several places to get the outer fairing to pull down snug to the inner fairing.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:34 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time you pull one out use some JB Weld on the one that popped out. Heck I'd use a E/Z out on the replacement insert and JB weld the Original one back in. Just dont over tighten the screws and the inserts wont pull out. My bike is 10 years old and none of my inserts have pulled out yet but I do keep JB Weld in the garage just incase schitt happens.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
jdag
Tourer

Excuse my ignorance...what is an "E/Z out"?

Old 05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Big Daddy K
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an idea...If you strip the inserts you can always drill through the inner fairing (carefully) lining up the holes to the outer fairing & put some nice Chrome button head bolts through the inner fairing with your choice of acorn nuts...facing outward.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree.I love the Batwing but the brass insert **** is just that,$HIT.I had one pop out Sunday while I was putting my hidden antenna on but I just put some gorilla glue on it and I popped it back in.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:22 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jdag

Excuse my ignorance...what is an "E/Z out"?
It is a tapered tool with a reverse twist used for removing broken bolts. You have it easy because you dont have to drill out the center of your insert. You can find them at the hardware store near Tap and drill bits. You might be able to get away without an E/Z out too. If you have a small tapered file handle that will fit tightly into the insert and get a bite on the brass to back it out of the inner fairing.

My Dad is a T.V. repairman and has a killer set of tools, I can fix anything! lol

Old 05-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain

I have one of these sets and it works pretty good. I have bent a few but those were under very very extreme situations..

Extractor Set (easyout)

Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious, what was the first year for the Batwing?

Old 05-10-2006, 02:24 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Rhinohd

I have one of these sets and it works pretty good. I have bent a few but those were under very very extreme situations..

Extractor Set (easyout)
Nice set and not a bad price for Snap-On.

Quick Reply: HD's Worst Design - Batwing Fairing