Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy from OKC with lots of HD questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:10 PM
jduff8505
6th Gear
Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New guy from OKC with lots of HD questions.

Hello,

Let me start off with a thank you for all the welcomes on my new member post.

Now let's get started.

I am looking to possibly replace my 84 Goldwing with a newer touring bike. I've ridden Honda's all my life with the exception of one Suzuki. Now why would I be on a HD site? Well to put it simply Honda's customer service at the dealers around here has gone in the dumper in my opinion.

I've heard nothing but good about HD dealers and how they bend over backwards to help the owners. I may be off but that's what I've heard. So now I'm looking real hard at the Electra Glide models and am particularly interested in the hard bag versions. I want a full faired with a trunk so I'm thinking Ultra Classic?

My main question is how smooth is the V twin ride? I had a Shadow Sabre 1100 and it really wore my lower back out so I went back to the inline 4 on my 919 and my Goldwing is a boxer 4. They didn't vibrate as much and I can go all day long on the Wing.

Also how is today's Harley's dependability? All joking aside, have they improved their quality in the last 20 years? My wife and I love to go on trips and being stranded isn't one of our favorite things.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more to ask. By the way I'm probably going to do a insta trike conversion to the Wing for the wife to have.

Thanks

Jeff

Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Hi Jeff, I pretty close up in Edmond here. I have a Street Glide and my son has a Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre, so I can kind of compare. My bike is heavier and turns a lot different. I think it vibrates at idle more than his Sabre. His Sabre is a little faster and has a little more low end, but doesn't handle extra weight like a passenger as well as mine. My son like my bike better because it feels smoother to him once you get going, and it feels more solid while riding. His bike stinks in the wind, mine barely knows the wind is there. Personally I enjoy riding his bike around town because it feels a little pepy, but the SG is a lot better on the highway.

Beary

Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 PM
littlebear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, You need to do some demo rides. I to had a Goldwing, great bike, but I like my Harley much better, I smile every time I start it or get on the gas. New Harleys are very dependable, not the space age stuff Honda has but that is ok with me. I love that there are so many things you can get to make it your own. The big plus to me is its AMERICAN, once you own one, you will understand. Good Luck

Old 05-15-2009, 07:26 PM
jduff8505
6th Gear
Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Beary,

Was thinking of shooting up to Edmond tomorrow to look around the dealership. Going to have a lot of questions about the difference between the models. I have an 08 Suzuki Bandit and an 07 919 that I use for scooting around on but when it comes to the highway I'm on the Wing if possible. I also like the bigger bike on the long runs and storage is a huge factor for me so I can haul all my stuff

Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 PM
5 Speed Suicide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '09 road glide. I love it! It does vibrate alot sitting still, but is smooth as glass down the road. As far as reliability, I would not hesitate to ride it across country! I have been riding an evo softail the last 12 yrs and never had a problem with it. The only down side to Harley is they are pricey. But still, they are a quality bike. Go test ride one and decide for yourself.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Find a demo ride! Harley is going to shake a lot more, & have *strange* noises. You'll hate it!.......... After you get over that, you'll find a great ride. Since you're already used to fixed fairings, I'd suggest lookin' at the Road Glide, but any of the touring bikes will do. Reliability is as good, or better than anything else on the highway. A lot of the things you read here about people worrying about problems aren't *real* problems. They're mostly enthusiasts being *very* picky. Seldom will a Harley leave you stranded, & it's got probably the best dealer/aftermarket network in the world. Ride a couple, get used to the noise/vibration (it really doesn't mean there's anything wrong), & pick the one that will do what you want.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dependablity is 10 fold better than back in the AMF days. No need to worry about that. My cousin has a wing that I have ridden a few times, although it's a nice bike I like the comfort of the Harley alot better than the wing. The Harley is going to vibrate alot more than the wing at idle but once you start rollin down the highway she smooths out but still not as smooth as the wing IMO. Like others said a big + is that it is american made.

As far as dealership customer service goes it is hit or miss. Some are better than others. Shop around and go with whomever makes you comfortable. I would suggest renting an ultra for a day or two and put on a good couple hundred miles or more on it then make a decision.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

I can't speak about the difference. I do love my Road Glide and so does my wife. We ride 2 up most of the time and we jam the bags and tourpak full too. The bike handles it easily. Just pump of the rear shocks and away we go. We have 16K with no problems.

Everything I've heard about the Wing is that they are trouble free and a great touring bike. Change the oil and tires and you'll get 100K easy. I seriously doubt that my bike will make it that far without some major motor work. I've also spent some serious money on upgrades and bling. You should know what you're getting into before you buy one.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

Old 05-15-2009, 08:17 PM
PostalRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Not trashing any of the OKC dealers but give Forman's HD in Stillwater a call. Before the slump in the market they had the best prices around, I'm not sure how much or if the OKC dealers have dropped their prices. Forman's has always treated me nice and they have great service after the sale.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Stillwater and check in at Forman's regularly. They sell a lot of bikes to out of towners so they must be doing something right.

Quick Reply: New guy from OKC with lots of HD questions.