Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I'm going to disagree: My oil foamed up when I switched to a different brand. I changed it one more time to flush out the oil and it was fine after that. I have seen some demonstrations done on transmission oil that showed the risk of foaming, but that was a while ago and I can't remember the source. While you may not have seen an independent oil test risk of mixing oil, you won't find any oil companies that support it. Its not the oil that is a problem, it is the additives.
You make a good point and I'm not advocating mixing different brands of oil without good reason, just HD's wording in Item #9. I've never seen any oil manufacturer that states that mixing with other oils is unacceptable, quite the contrary. In FAQ's when the question is "Will Brand X mix with other oils?" the answer is always "yes," although I can't imagine one that would recommend doing it. The idea is if you need to use something else in an emergency that all manufacturers I'm aware of approve mixing.

HD's statement in #9 not only suggests but categorically states that mixing other oil with HD will reduce the "superior" qualities of HD oil. This is false and they can't produce evidence to support that claim.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I agree, but am criticizing their wording that states their oil is superior to others. It isn't.

Speaking for myself, I've never bashed HD oil, except for price, and based on tests I've seen they are decent products albeit very overpriced. As for other HD products I criticize them only when I have experience to back it up. I find most HD products to be excellent quality, and most are even reasonably priced if you compare them with competitive brands. I agree that there is quite a bit of bashing here and elsewhere that lacks supporting evidence.

I understand & agree with your reply, well said. Let me clarify I did not mean to say you were specifically bashing HD, after the fact it may have looked that way. I meant it in general on the forums.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Oil Temperature-harley-pics-all-done-019.jpg  
Old 06-06-2010, 12:53 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
I think oil temps gauges are just extra bling that are not needed.
How many of you with temp gauges have actually pulled over and stopped because of a high reading?

What's a high reading?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:20 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by myred55
What's a high reading?
That's what I was asking.......240,250,260,270,280 degrees?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Scooter68
Road Master

I have the Hd oil cooler and got Milan's fan to go with it. Hooked it up to a relay on a switch on the handle bars so I can turn it on and off at my desire. It makes a difference in traffice or stopped at a light.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:45 AM
chaswood
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if u install a harley oil cooler and a harley oil temp guage ,the oil temp is measured on the cool side of the oil cooler, there is about a70 to 80 deg difference in oil temp at the tank.. when my dash guage measures 120deg my tempeture dipstick reads 200deg.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yesterday I was at the Tennessee State HOG Rally. I was watching the Daytona Drill Team sponsored by Bruce Rossmeyer HD perform. These guy's and one woman were all riding dressers. all but one was UC. These engines are put through some tough conditions riding around in a parking lot, stopping and hard excelorating in close to 100 degree weather. I didn't know it at the time, But I was also standing next to the regional manager for HD. The guy has been with HD 28 years. When the Drill team finished one of the members walked over to the RM and was talking. I asked the Drill Team member what oil were they using in those motors because I noticed most of them didn't have oil coolers on them. He replied, they were their own personal bikes, but all of them used Synthetic oil and he was pretty sure it was HD syn3. The RM spoke up and said, you don't need an oil cooler on these engines, they are suppose to run at least 216 degrees to burn the moisture off.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
That's what I was asking.......240,250,260,270,280 degrees?
The hottest I saw on my bike before the oil cooler was around 265. I hit that a couple of times and believe me, it was plenty hot. The rear cylinder cut off would activate as soon as I came to a stop. It was not fun. I've read some folks claim to have touched 300 and I can't even imagine that!!!

Originally Posted by Scooter68
I have the Hd oil cooler and got Milan's fan to go with it. Hooked it up to a relay on a switch on the handle bars so I can turn it on and off at my desire. It makes a difference in traffic or stopped at a light.
I've got the Jagg 10 row installed with Milan's fans too. The highest temps I've seen has been about 235 (at or slightly less than 230 is more the norm now) under the same conditions I was seeing that 265 mentioned above. I've seen the rear cylinder cut off happen once that I was aware of since the oil cooler was installed. At that point, I'm still feeling the heat off the engine but it's nothing like it was before the cooler install.

Originally Posted by chaswood
if u install a Harley oil cooler and a Harley oil temp gauge ,the oil temp is measured on the cool side of the oil cooler, there is about a70 to 80 deg difference in oil temp at the tank.. when my dash gauge measures 120deg my temperature dipstick reads 200deg.
That's not necessarily true any more. They've got an adapter to install the temp sensor in the oil pan which is where mine is installed. There will be differing opinions on which is best but I never thought reading the oil temp on the output side of the cooler would be optimal. I could be wrong about this but I'd think the overall average temps would be seen in the oil pan itself so I'm happy with my sensor being located there.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:52 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
The hottest I saw on my bike before the oil cooler was around 265. I hit that a couple of times and believe me, it was plenty hot. The rear cylinder cut off would activate as soon as I came to a stop. It was not fun. I've read some folks claim to have touched 300 and I can't even imagine that!!!
My rear cyl. shut of once while in Las Vegas traffic.The motor sounded terrible.After a few minutes maybe longer, I decided I needed to get moving.Splitting lanes,finally made back the hotel.
Thought the motor was going to fry!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 PM
shovester
Novice

I replaced the ambient air temperature gauge because it basically stayed pegged on hot days. The new gauge with oil tank mounted sensor stayed pretty much on the upper end of the scale (260-280) as well. I added the oil cooler which dropped it 20-25 degrees but you still cant get stuck in traffic for very long without stopping the motor. Once it gets over 250 it runs like **** and starts pinging. Forget 6th gear.

I have fought the heat from day 1.

I just bought some cvo 255 cams in hopes of reducing the temps (with pipes and tuner) Now I read elsewhere that the 255's are "compliance cams" and wont help the heat issue. Any thoughts ?

Quick Reply: Oil Temperature