Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swing arm braces

Old 04-08-2014, 02:45 PM
bikehunter
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Swing arm braces

Have been looking for a swing arm brace for my 1999 Road King. Was surprised to see that there was more than two that saw recently. Quite like the Bagger brace, Anyone tried it?

Old 04-08-2014, 03:29 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Hello old chap, from just up the road! There are around a dozen brands of 'stabilizers' that claim to address the underlying problem you indirectly refer to. Read my thread on 'bagger wobble' for some background reading. Many of the kits are clones of the True-Track, which I currently have on my 1990 Glide, which greatly improves handling and steering. Note my comments about ensuring your bike is in tip-top shape, before adding any stabilizer.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:28 AM
bikehunter
Tourer

Thanks old bean , I will give it a look.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 AM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

CHeck this one out. Since your '99 has the sidecar mounting nut on the bottom right rear of the frame. Very simple, out of the way (and less expensive) compared to most. Had one for a couple years now on my '01.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Touri...cd580c&vxp=mtr

Old 04-09-2014, 01:09 PM
bikehunter
Tourer

Originally Posted by Razorback
CHeck this one out. Since your '99 has the sidecar mounting nut on the bottom right rear of the frame. Very simple, out of the way (and less expensive) compared to most. Had one for a couple years now on my '01.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Touri...cd580c&vxp=mtr
Razorback your a genius, for that money I will take a chance and buy one. This item states that the centre stand can still operate, something I only just considered today and I am sure many Stabilizers get in the way of the Stand.
Thanks again.

Last edited by bikehunter; 04-09-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 AM
bikehunter
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hello old chap, from just up the road! There are around a dozen brands of 'stabilizers' that claim to address the underlying problem you indirectly refer to. Read my thread on 'bagger wobble' for some background reading. Many of the kits are clones of the True-Track, which I currently have on my 1990 Glide, which greatly improves handling and steering. Note my comments about ensuring your bike is in tip-top shape, before adding any stabilizer.
Hey there from up north, read the post and found it very useful information, thanks for the link. You put a lot of effort into it and it shows from the replies.
I have gone and bought the one on ebay that Razorback ping'd me mainly because I have a centre stand and I see that some get in the way of it.
Also the price but at least its workable if the thing fails to work afficiently.
My bike at the moment is tight around the swing arm but want to stay that way. Still looking at the swing arm upgrade as well and may get the aftermarket bushes, if I knew the material, I can machine some up!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Razorback
Tourer

Glad I could help. I added the link a couple years ago and was set on some bushings as well, but after upgrading rear shocks and fork cartridges last fall, the thing feels like a new bike. Maybe next tire change install a Sta-Bo bushing kit. The wallowing suspension was most of the problem.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 PM
bikehunter
Tourer

Interesting, what did you upgrade to as a matter of interest?

Old 04-10-2014, 01:38 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bikehunter
Still looking at the swing arm upgrade as well and may get the aftermarket bushes, if I knew the material, I can machine some up!
Brands that make them use 'Delrin', if that helps! It can be purchased over here.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Razorback
Tourer

Originally Posted by bikehunter
Interesting, what did you upgrade to as a matter of interest?
Progressive 444's (didn't want lowering) and their fork cartridge kit. No more air assist. No wallowing rear and diving front. Night and Day difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swing arm braces