Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temperature

Old 05-24-2009, 12:10 PM
bigbg006
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temperature

I have an 08 Ultra Classic that I just put a oil temperature gauge. Can anyone tell me what the proper operating temperature should be. Thanks

Old 05-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Milan
Banned

185F to 230F should be about right. Gets any hotter than that I would consider getting a oil cooler.
Milan

Old 05-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
185F to 230F should be about right. Gets any hotter than that I would consider getting a oil cooler.
Milan
Amazing, you just happen to sell oil coolers to don't you?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Milan
Banned

Sorry, if you look at my web site you wont find any coolers for sale. Maybe you should look before you speak.
Milan

Old 05-24-2009, 12:40 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 230'F is normal crusing.

Originally Posted by bigbg006
I have an 08 Ultra Classic that I just put a oil temperature gauge. Can anyone tell me what the proper operating temperature should be. Thanks
Normal operating temperature, when the bike is stock and fully up to temperture is approximately 230'F, when crusing along doing normal crusing. It'll be more or less depending upon your riding style, the ambient temperature, the speed your going.. all that stuff.

Many of the newer HD's run very hot. The expecially heat up rapidly way above that 230 mark when stopped in traffic. You can turn on heat management in the ECM so that the rear cylinder shuts down at idle, at high temps. I would guess this would help a lot.

I have an 07, did the Stage 1 upgrade with a PCIII and also put ona Jagg oil cooler. I never see anythign about 225 anymore. Runs great!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:47 PM
UALCapt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I concur with the temperature range stated above. I am a big fan of oil coolers. I flew large radial engine airplanes years ago. Temperature control (both cold and hot) is critical. An air cooled v-twin motorcycle engine is nothing more than a fraction of an aircraft radial engine and benefits from the same careful attention to temperature control ...this includes cylinder head temps as well as oil temps. My '09 FLHTP 103" has an oil cooler from the factory. Recently, I added Milan's oil cooler fans, and am pleased with the results. I have an oil temp gauge and can see the difference from the twin fans. "Anything" I can do to control the temperature of the engine is well worth the money and effort.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
Sorry, if you look at my web site you wont find any coolers for sale. Maybe you should look before you speak.
Milan
Oh, you don't sell the oil cooler itself, just the fan for it--thanks for the clarification.

Easiest way to cool off an '07 or newer bike is to richen the AFR just a bit since HD sets it sooooo lean for EPA compliance reasons.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:28 PM
armyof1
Cruiser

can you set the afr by yourself, or is it something a shop has to do becaause i dont have a power commander?

Old 05-24-2009, 06:31 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to look into the oil cooler, by HD. If that does not work then I am getting the fan.............

Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Milan
Banned

[quote=Harleypingman;5042659]Oh, you don't sell the oil cooler itself, just the fan for it--thanks for the clarification.

Again I apologise, I didnt realize that if you sell a product you are not allowed to voice a opinion. If you read my first post there was no mention of the product I sell. Nor did I say he needs to buy a oil cooler, only that if his temp gets above 230F that he consider it.
Milan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Temperature