Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Oh, you don't sell the oil cooler itself, just the fan for it--thanks for the clarification.

Easiest way to cool off an '07 or newer bike is to richen the AFR just a bit since HD sets it sooooo lean for EPA compliance reasons.
How Does one do that?

Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Amazing, you just happen to sell oil coolers to don't you?
OK, lets not argue over nothing, from the specs I've read, the operating temp is 220-230 degrees.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the oil temp gauge on my 09 Ultra a couple of weeks ago. So far, in local riding and commuting to work and back, it's running right at 230 most of the time. I've had it climb up to about 250 a couple of times. On a recent road trip, after a cold front came through, it was running around 200 degrees in outside temps between 50 and 65 degrees. I'll be adding the oil cooler around the first of the month.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbg006
I have an 08 Ultra Classic that I just put a oil temperature gauge. Can anyone tell me what the proper operating temperature should be. Thanks
I cut out an article from the magazine "American Iron", (May 2008).
The article asks a question, and although it pertained to a 2000 Fatboy...it basically tells about a guy that has a hotrodded engine and the oil temp runs about 220 degrees, except when he rides it 85-90 MPH for long distances. Then the temp goes up to 250 degrees.
He asks, 'what can I do to lower the oil temp?'
The answer he gets from the magazine tech is "Why do you want to lower the temps? They are right on the money. If you ride your bike at 90 MPH and the temp doesn't get hotter the 250, be happy."
There is more to the story, but that is the basic answer he got about oil temps.

What is your oil temp reading?

Chuck

Old 05-24-2009, 08:30 PM
jjohnson77536
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much does an oil cooler reduce the temp and does that translate into cooler rides? If I go any distance at all it gets hot!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile

Hear are some answers from Harley, look at question #5 for the MoCo answer to your qustion.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Ten Questions and Answers About Motorcycle Oil For Your Harley-Davidson

The Following Information was provide by
Harley- Davidson Service, 3rd Floor.

1. Why should I use Harley-Davidson Motorcycle oil?

This is the only available motorcycle oil specially developed for Harley-Davidson motorcycle engines. It is also the only available oil tested for two years by our engineering staff on engine dynamometer stands in Milwaukee and motorcycle track tests at Talladega. And in other tests, Harley-Davidson has found it to be superior to other oils.

2. Can I use aviation oils in my Harley-Davidson?

We do not recommend this, because these oils do not contain an important additive that provides good wear protection of the Harley-Davidson engine.

3. What viscosity grade should I use in my Harley-Davidson?

The recommended viscosity grade for use in all temperatures is SAE 20W50 Harley-Davidson Oil. The SAE 50 grade is satisfactory in ambient temperatures of 60 deg to 90 deg F, and the SAE 60 grade is appropriate for ambient temperatures above 80 deg to over 100 deg F.

4. At what temperature will Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil
break down?

This oil has been designed for use at temperatures up to 300 deg F for extended periods with no significant breakdown.

5. What oil temperature is best for my Harley-Davidson?

A good oil operating temperature range is 200 deg to 240 deg F. Water condensation and acids tend to build up in the oil if the temperature is consistently below 180 deg F, and oil thickness can become marginal at temperatures above 300 deg F.

6. Does Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil do anything besides
lubricate engine parts?

Yes. Besides lubricating engine parts and preventing wear, it protects the engine from rust and corrosion, keeps the inside of the engine clean, cools engine parts and "seals in" combustion pressures, prevents foaming, permits easy starting and quick oil circulation, and reduces friction and power loss.

7. Is it true that oil never wears out?

No. All motor oils wear out. During normal use, the oil molecules undergo a chemical reaction with oxygen and begin to break down; additives in the oil become depleted; and contaminants like water, gasoline, soot and dust get mixed in with the oil. Therefore, your motorcycle oil needs to be changed at the interval recommended by Harley-Davidson.

8. Can I go longer between oil changes if I put in a new oil
filter?

No. The filter keeps the oil free of solid matter, but it doesn't remove water, gasoline or acids. Also, it can't pinch-hit for additives that become used up. Follow Harley-Davidson's recommended intervals for oil and oil filter changes, and don't expect a new filter to extend the life of the oil.

9. Is it okay to mix Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil with a
different brand?

Harley-Davidson Motorcycle oil is compatible with other petroleum oils. However, mixing with another oil will reduce the superior engine protection of Harley-Davidson oil, so this should be done only when absolutely necessary.

10. Does it help to put in a can of additive with each oil
change?

No. Just as you wouldn't add sugar to a bottle of soda, you shouldn't use additives with Harley-Davidson Motorcycle oil. It already contains the right additives in the correct amounts to last between recommended oil changes. More additives won't help. In Fact, they might upset the oil chemistry and create problems you wouldn't ordinarily have. Use Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil and forget the extra can of additive. It's money down the drain.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Temperature-harley-pics-all-done-019.jpg   Oil Temperature-harley-pics-all-done-017.jpg  
Old 05-24-2009, 08:42 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dionicio
OK, lets not argue over nothing, from the specs I've read, the operating temp is 220-230 degrees.
I agree 100%.

Originally Posted by jjohnson77536
how much does an oil cooler reduce the temp and does that translate into cooler rides? If I go any distance at all it gets hot!
Reportedly they will cool your engine 20-30 degrees.

I would get a temp gauge that takes a reading from your oil pan or oil tank and see if you actually need a cooler. Temps over 250 will start to break down dino oil. Temps over 400 will break down synth so for that reason alone it's good idea to run synth in the summer.

Needless to say you are in big trouble if you see temps over 300. Pull over immediately to let it cool down.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill G
Hear are some answers from Harley, look at question

3. What viscosity grade should I use in my Harley-Davidson?

The recommended viscosity grade for use in all temperatures is SAE 20W50 Harley-Davidson Oil. The SAE 50 grade is satisfactory in ambient temperatures of 60 deg to 90 deg F, and the SAE 60 grade is appropriate for ambient temperatures above 80 deg to over 100 deg F.
Is that a straight SAE 60 or a multi-viscosity?

Old 05-24-2009, 10:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Normal operating temperature, when the bike is stock and fully up to temperture is approximately 230'F, when crusing along doing normal crusing. It'll be more or less depending upon your riding style, the ambient temperature, the speed your going.. all that stuff.

Many of the newer HD's run very hot. The expecially heat up rapidly way above that 230 mark when stopped in traffic. You can turn on heat management in the ECM so that the rear cylinder shuts down at idle, at high temps. I would guess this would help a lot.

I have an 07, did the Stage 1 upgrade with a PCIII and also put ona Jagg oil cooler. I never see anythign about 225 anymore. Runs great!
HD claims the "normal" operating temperature of a TC96 is 230°, but this doesn't necessarily mean "ideal." I'll opt for lower temps, like from 180-205°, which you can achieve with an oil cooler. I'm in the same range as you seeing max temps of 230°, but that only a few times in summer stop-and-go traffic.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

HD is in the business to sell MC's as well as premium-priced oil. The wording of these points is classic marketing hype that doesn't exactly lie, except in item 9 below, but also doesn't tell the entire story by leaving out essential details.

1. And in other tests, Harley-Davidson has found it to be superior to other oils.
What other oils? They could be testing against two $1/qt. 30-wt. non-detergent oils for all we know. They cannot and will not show us evidence that HD oil is superior to every oil on the market, mainly because it isn't.

4. At what temperature will Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil break down?

This oil has been designed for use at temperatures up to 300 deg F for extended periods with no significant breakdown.
What's their definition of "no significant breakdown"? I'd like to see tests of HD360 subjected to 300° conditions for even a short period of time.

5. What oil temperature is best for my Harley-Davidson?

A good oil operating temperature range is 200 deg to 240 deg F. Water condensation and acids tend to build up in the oil if the temperature is consistently below 180 deg F, and oil thickness can become marginal at temperatures above 300 deg F.
Good? Oil engineers will say that better would be 200°, or even 190°. It is true that "thickness" (i.e. viscosity) will suffer in 300° conditions, but what will increase is oxidation which causes the oil to break down. Everyone should strive to keep oil temps far below 300°. HD acts as if this high temperature is acceptable.

6. Does Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil do anything besides lubricate engine parts?

Yes. Besides lubricating engine parts and preventing wear, it protects the engine from rust and corrosion, keeps the inside of the engine clean, cools engine parts and "seals in" combustion pressures, prevents foaming, permits easy starting and quick oil circulation, and reduces friction and power loss.
So will any other API-rated engine oil, any of which will cost much less than HD oil of the same type.

7. Is it true that oil never wears out?

No. All motor oils wear out. During normal use, the oil molecules undergo a chemical reaction with oxygen and begin to break down; additives in the oil become depleted; and contaminants like water, gasoline, soot and dust get mixed in with the oil. Therefore, your motorcycle oil needs to be changed at the interval recommended by Harley-Davidson.
All true, but what they don't tell you is that oxidation speeds up exponentially as temperature increases. Thus the "good" oil temps they describe are nowhere near ideal.

9. Is it okay to mix Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Oil with a different brand?

Harley-Davidson Motorcycle oil is compatible with other petroleum oils. However, mixing with another oil will reduce the superior engine protection of Harley-Davidson oil, so this should be done only when absolutely necessary.
I think this statement steps over the line of truth. They are saying that if you mix another oil with HD oil you will reduce the "superior engine protection of HD oil," which is simply not necessarily true. So if I have Syn3 in my crankcase and need to add a quart of Mobil 1 that I'm reducing the protection? Baloney. They are saying here that every other oil is inferior to HD oil and they cannot and will not provide evidence to support this claim. Further, no independent oil test that I've ever seen bears this out.

Quick Reply: Oil Temperature