Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge not accurate? Road King Classic

Old 05-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge not accurate? Road King Classic

Last year I purchased a 1996 Road King Classic. Its got the fuel gauge right on the tank obviously because it does not have a fairing. However, since purchasing it I've had an annoying problem thats driving me nuts! After about 50 miles, the low fuel light comes on, and obviously stays on.. Also, it shows about half a tank left after using a little over a gallon of gas. Just to test, I drained the tank and refilled it, after nearly 2.5 gallons the tank was barely off empty.

So I pulled out the fuel float assembly, bent it down, and was able to get a more accurate fuel reading from the needle. However the gas light still came on at about 75 miles. So one day at the dealer I asked them how much a replacement fuel float assembly was, and it was about $35.. What the heck, mine is obviously 10 years old, maybe its just worn out. So I bought it.

Today I put the new one in, and its back to how it originally was.. I need to put in 2.5-3 gallons to just get the needle MAYBE up to 1/4 full. After about 4.5 gallons it was up to a little over half. Put about 5.1 gallons in and its still not up to full. The fuel light didn't go out until after about 4 gallons of gas were put in.

Ok, so does anyone understand what the problem is? I can't imagine they intend the fuel light to come on after 1 to 1.5 gallons are used.. I would think it would be the opposite, maybe 1 to 1.5 gallons it would come ON. I guess I could just bend the float down again, and that would get my needle more accurate, but I want to FIX it..

So I guess my only other option is the actual fuel gauge itself? Although I imagine thats probably in the $50-100 range just for the part.. and its probably not worth it unless I would KNOW it would fix the problem. The other thing it could be is just a defective design, but I guess others in here would be complaining about it.

I'm curious if anyone has any opinions or experience with this. I can only assume that the fuel light comes on when the float hits a certain level, and if mine is coming on early its because the gauge is defective or the float is way off. I'm perplexed.. If anyone has a fuel gauge off a model that may be compatible I guess I would be willing to buy it off you (like from a wrecked bike or someone who bought a different style.)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:12 AM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Gauge not accurate? Road King Classic

Use the odometer.

Even the fuel gauges that work dont actually work.

Mine seems ok from F to 1/2 and then from 1/2 to E seems to last all of 15-20 minutes.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:46 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My gauge is good for about 4 gallons. When it hits the peg I am almost to my reserve. I use the odometer and stop about 150-170 miles. No light on mine.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:56 AM
HogBack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always us the odometer... the sending units vary to much and never want to leave myself to far from gas.... never want to leave myself short for many reasons...

Old 05-13-2006, 07:22 PM
spartns
Road Master

I use the trip meter as well. I never really trusted the guage.

Old 05-13-2006, 07:39 PM
DragonNester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Harley fuel gauge is a worthless piece of junk. Use the trip meter and ignore the gauge. My trip meter is also off but at a consistent rate.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:30 PM
William
Tourer

I also have a 96rk and when guage reads half it only takes 1.5 gallons to top it off....
when it reads a quarter it only takes 2.5 gal....
so like everyone before figure 150-200 miles depending on your mods and riding style...

Old 05-16-2006, 02:13 PM
ToadKing
6th Gear

You need to calibrate the guage. To do this, drain the tank, then put in 2.5 Gal gas (1/2 tank). With the bike vertical (not on jiffy stand) bend the float arm to obtain 1/2 tank reading at the guage. You fixed it!

Old 05-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My low-fuel light comes on with a gallon left in the tank. But the guage seems to stay at F for a long time and drops like a rock

Old 05-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Wait a minute, we have fuel indicators on our bikes! Say it isn't so!!!

Mine is actually fairly accurate, but it does the 'stay on F forever, then drop like a rock' routine. The light comes on (FI bike) about 170 miles or so, and I've gone another 20 with no problems (so maybe 1/2 gallon was left when the light comes on). I know I can squeeze about 190-210 miles out of a tank, so I just watch the trip meter and judge it based on that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge not accurate? Road King Classic