Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Monster Ovals - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Monster Ovals - WOW!

Got back from vacation Saturday night and as expected, the Vance & Hines / Monster Ovals box was sitting in the garage along with some smoked turn signal lenses, air-wing horn cover and a new timing cover.

The Sunday morning install took 1 cup of coffee followed by 2 large Bloody Mary’s.

All I can say is WOW on the Monster Ovals. MUCH deeper and low rumble than the current Dyno tuned Jackpots and exactly the sound I was looking for. I had been a little concerned about the look but after seeing them on a few other bikes and now seeing them on my bike, all I can say is WOW! I think these look great with the new much fatter a$$ on the 09’s. Also very pleased with the black tips, inverted to match the slant of the fender and bags.

Also, here’s my .02 on the question of sound volume.

The main road is about a ¼ mile from the house. So before the swap, I had my wife stand out on the porch and listen to the Jackpots cruising down the private road and then opening it up to accelerate onto the main road. Did the same thing after the swap to the MO’s. She tells me that the MO’s could be heard more clearly and further down the road. She also says the tone is a MUCH deeper rumble than the Jackpots. The much deeper sound of the MO's compared to the Jackpots cannot be disputed.

A BEAUTIFUL day up here in the NW yesterday so we put 200 miles on to verify that the cruise volume is perfect. No cracking or barking. Just pure low rumble. The four other riders with us all loved the sound and look. One of them will be ordering his new MO's this week.

All in all, these mufflers look fantastic and sound perfect IMHO. If there is any loss in performance, I sure can’t tell. I also need to mention that the Jackpots are a great product, excellent bang for the buck at almost 1/2 the price of the MO's and the customer service from Fuel Moto is unsurpassed. Just not the sound and look that I wanted.

Here is before and after pics of the exhaust as well as the new smoked lenses and the new air-wing horn cover with a timing cover bolted onto the outside of it. (idea by member “Taylorized”)

Attached Thumbnails New Monster Ovals - WOW!-jackpots1.jpg   New Monster Ovals - WOW!-mo1.jpg   New Monster Ovals - WOW!-horn-2.jpg   New Monster Ovals - WOW!-horn-3.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just watch for pot holes and coming out of driveways, mine are pretty scrapped up already. Streetglides are an inch lower though.

Great sound though!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Clint, nice looking muffler. I never liked the Wide Ovals with the chrome tips, but I like them with the black ones. It really changes the look. Cool horn cover too! Ride safe and stay DRY!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:31 PM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have monsters on my ultra all I can say is love them. I won't have anything else from now on.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Clint55,
I have been on the fence about springing for the Monster Ovals, and your great write up just pushed me over the fence. Thanks.......I think.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
Clint55,
I have been on the fence about springing for the Monster Ovals, and your great write up just pushed me over the fence. Thanks.......I think.
I'd strongly suggest seeing and hearing these mufflers live before you buy them. My opinion about looks and sound could be a lot different than yours and I'd hate to steer someone into a $580 mistake. What I can tell you for sure is that I love-em and that the sound is hands down the lowest and deepest rumble I've ever heard. I also think ther black tips look better than the chrome. I can also understand that these may not be loud enough for some. I like to hear my bike and my stereo so these are just right for me.

I forgot to mention that I also have Fuel Moto's PCV and AMERICAN (not Chinese made Big Sucker) AC. Otherwise stock 09 headpipes.

Here's a couple more pics that might help with the visual decision.

Good luck!!

Attached Thumbnails New Monster Ovals - WOW!-img_1765.jpg   New Monster Ovals - WOW!-img_1767.jpg   New Monster Ovals - WOW!-img_1768.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Fewe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend the Monster Ovals to anyone looking for a great sounding and looking touring muffler. Won't annoy the neighbors when leaving for work at 6:15 AM and sounds evil when you go WOT. I will eventually add Vance Dresser Duals for a little more volume and stereo sound but I'm not giving up the Monsters. I have had mine for almost a year and they look as good today as the day I installed them. Only problem I have found is when riding two-up the will drag when making a 90* off camber turn if you are going a bit too fast, but they do look good!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Clint55,
Yeah they do look good. I am looking for quiet, or very little louder than stock, I am really getting used to hearing other things like the stero and my wife does prefer it quiet also. That low, deep rumble is what I am looking for.Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 PM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look friggin awesome on your bike. I love the black caps on them.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the black tips.

I bought mine off a memeber here whose wife didn't like the vibration/rumble (in her chest she said).
I thought I got a good deal, where did you buy yours for $580?

So far I'm lovin' mine.

Quick Reply: New Monster Ovals - WOW!