Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Reach Handlebar Install Questions. Cables? Wiring? Did they help you?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 AM
ROGERinSEMO
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced Reach Handlebar Install Questions. Cables? Wiring? Did they help you?

Thinking about putting the Reduces Reach handlebars on my 2005 Road King Classic. The stock bars kill my back. I've tried rotating them, adjusting grips, and so on. Time for new bars. Did these bars help you? Do the Reduced Reach Bars need different cables or wiring, Or will all my stock stuff work? THANKS!!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Alabamaslammer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know about the reduced reach bar's, but I put some Chubby Wild1 wo508's on my 2003 RKC,32.5" wide, 16" pull back 5.5" rise. I used all stock stuff but I lengthened my wires about 8 inches just to have lots to play with, the stock length probaly would have worked but it would have been very tight...I hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails Reduced Reach Handlebar Install Questions. Cables? Wiring? Did they help you?-hpim1727.jpg  
Old 05-31-2009, 08:08 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I went with Klock Werks ergo back bars. Only drawback is the price. Dealer said I needed new cables. No more pain in my shoulders. I feel more confident on the bike as well. IfI had a choice, I would do it again

Old 05-31-2009, 08:17 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep reading about people switching to Heritage Classic bars with good results. I was planning on trying them on my '98 RK Classic.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:30 PM
HammerheadC4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the HD reduced reach bars on my 06 RK.
They helped me, made the ride enjoyable.
All the stock cables and wires worked, didn't have to purchase anything else.
They say you need a wire extension kit, but it is not needed.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 AM
ROGERinSEMO
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THANKS HamerheadC4!!! Some questions?

Just the info I was looking for! Did you put them on yourself? Any problems? Run the wires inside? How long did it take to install? C4,You have a Corvette too? Thanks Again!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:34 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

I just put the extended reach ( HD 2" Pullbacks ) on my '08 Ultra.

I did use the HD extended clutch cable and am glad I did as that would have been tight. The TBW cables were all plenty long enough, and the ABS brake line was more then long enough. I routed the TBW through the bars but not the rest of the wiring, just didn't feel like disassembling and reassembling the connectors. It took me a good 4 hours on the Ultra, but there is a ton of crap you have to remove ( basically the whole fairing ). And I was doing a deep clean as I pulled everything apart.

Now the bad news, my arms are at a much more comfortable position ( elbows slightly bent and relaxed ), but I am not real happy about my wrist position. I only put about 25 miles on the bike after it was done so I am going to give it another chance before I start looking for yet another set of bars!

Those who have the other brands, how neutral is your wrist position? Man I wish I had a nice set of buckhorns for the bike, lol.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:37 PM
HammerheadC4
Tourer

Originally Posted by ROGERinSEMO
Just the info I was looking for! Did you put them on yourself? Any problems? Run the wires inside? How long did it take to install? C4,You have a Corvette too? Thanks Again!
Yes I installed them myself. (I used a service manual)
No problems.
I ran the wires inside.
Took me a few hours.
yes I have an 84 vette....it has seen better days.

Not sure how your clutch cable is routed.....I did end up rerouting mine, no problems with it tho, and it's not tight at all, has plenty of slack.

I experienced the same concerns as Doombuggy posted in regards to the wrist angle, and also considered replacing the bars....but in a week or so I just got accustomed to the new wrist angle and end up very happy with the new handle bars.

The stock bars had a two piece top clamp, the new bars came with a one piece top clamp. (A one piece clamp should be used)

When disconnecting the wires inside the nacelle, I think one of the connectors was attached to the headlight bulb housing, if you remove it and don't reattach it, you can get the needed slack to eliminate the wire extension kit.

I made a good diagram of the wires in the connector before removing all the pins.

I was REAL glad I had a service manual when I changed the bars on my bike.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The main reason I went with Klock Werks is the position that my wrists are now in. More natural feeling.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

rogerinsemo, nothing wrong with owning a corvette too. i dig my c5,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reduced Reach Handlebar Install Questions. Cables? Wiring? Did they help you?