Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 09 Street Glide & Harley Owner question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:20 PM
skcm2006
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 09 Street Glide & Harley Owner question

I made the leap and decided to get the 09 street glide and picked it up yesterday - Sun Glow Red with ABS, Cruise, Sundowner Seat and sissybar.

I was a Honda owner prior to this and I know little about the Harley Davidson - I do have one question - As I was going over the bike today I notice a blemish/bump in the paint and I was wondering it that is something I just live with or take it back to the dealer.

Any recommendations, suggestions, helpful hints for this newbe?

Thanks

Russ

Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Take it back. They should warranty it for you. Might have to wait a little bit to have HD send you a new part, but that's what should happen. What part is it anyway, and where is it. Good luck!
Jerry

Old 05-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Timw7419
Novice

I just picked up an 09 Ultra Classic and had the same problem. A small blemish on the pinstriping on the fuel tank. It looked like the the pinstripe might have had a bubble in it before it was clearcoated. So, I took it back and showed the dealer. They said they had to try and wet sand it and then buff it out before they could replace it under warranty. He was sure it wasn't going to work but had to have the pics to show they tried to submit the claim anyway. They were very apologetic and said they would make it right. I figured it I was sinking $20K+ into a new bike, I wanted to put the first blemish on it myself! So, take it back and hopefully you will have as good of an experience as I did.

Tim

Old 05-30-2009, 07:43 PM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain

I have a 09 sg also and have a blemish on the fairing under the headlight. Iam sure they will take care of it. Were is your blemish. Tim

Old 05-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, congrats on your new ride! I no doubt believe you'll love it. Good advice here, take it back. Harley is known for their paint and I wouldn't be surprised if somebody would want to get you all taken care of just so they can continue to brag about the paint. I would imagine the dealer would do what they can. (except Rossmeyer's of course, wink,wink)

In fact, on my girl's new Street Glide, '09, there is a small area on the top of her tank to the right of the console where it almost looks like it was wet-sanded and somebody forgot give it a final buff. Hers is the purple flake and you can't always see it at all angles, but essentially it looks like a cloudy spot. The dealer told me the same thing, they'll try to buff it first and if we're not happy, he'll order me a new tank. I think that's fair. So yes, take it in and for what it's worth, don't let that be your impression of Harley paint since you're coming from another brand. Harley actually does have nice paint to be fair.
Good luck with the new ride. ps, it's "Red Hot Sunglo"! My Roadie is the same color.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Timw7419
Novice

Mine is on the right side of the tank as you follow the pinstripe down from the top towards your thigh. It looks like it's where the pinstripe painter started and stopped.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 AM
skcm2006
Intermediate

THe bleimish is on the rear fender about 3 inches past where the seat bolts onto. It isn't a scratch but it looks like something got painted over it.

Being New to HD I have two questions - should it vibrate so much my brake and clutch levers shake? Also when I ride there is a "ticking noise"... is that normal?

So far I love this bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Hammer107
Road Master

Harley's are louder than most bikes in the valvetrain department so it is probably normal but without being able to hear said "tick" it's hard to say.

Yes the shake is normal.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:31 PM
skcm2006
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips - Wife and I have put 100 miles on the bike since Saturday - hoping to get more in and break it in correctly.

Here is a picture of the bike - http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it back. My tank had a small blem and it just bugged the crap out of me. Harley is noted for a good paint job so when you find something bad, take it back. They couldn't fix mine so they replaced the tank. Now I feel much better.

Quick Reply: New 09 Street Glide & Harley Owner question