Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Passenger Backrest Relocation kit??

Are there any kits, HD or aftermarket, designed to move the passenger backrest further back on the bike? The wife says there's not enough room between my backrest and her backrest. If there were a way to move the passenger backrest a couple inches back, it would probably solve the problem. Bike has the Sundowner Deep Bucket Touring seat (51630-06) and the passenger back rest pad. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Elite HDF Member

do a serch on george anderson tour pack relocater.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Road Master

not the tour pack but passenger backrest ?????? i would like to move mine back too ...i have the quick disconnet kit
Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the tip on George Anderson, but I don't have a tour pack. Just a quick detachable passenger backrest.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Prospect

I would be interested too, anyone know about one for a passenger backrest?
SE Super Tuner
HQ500 Cams
HQ ProTuner
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Road Captain

I know a lot of companies make relocators for the tour pack, Kuryakyn etc. Try Kuryakyn.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electra glide View Post
I know a lot of companies make relocators for the tour pack, Kuryakyn etc. Try Kuryakyn.
I'll give them a look.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

I made the modification to mine which gained us a little over an inch more room. I don't have any pictures so I'll to explain.

If you look at the bracket that the rear mount is attached to there are two mounting holes. The mount should be in the top hole. There is a flat strap that is attached to your rear mount and runs forward.

Remove the rear mount for the backrest. Loosen the flat strap at it's forward attaching point. Swing the flat strap down to a point halfway between the upper mounting hole where your backrest mount is supposed to be and the lower mounting hole in the bracket. Use the flat strap as a template to locate a place to drill a new hole for the mount halfway between the two factory holes in the bracket. Then simply re-install your rear mount in the new hole.

As you move the rear mounting point down it swings through a small arc. This changes the angle of the backrest, kinda lays it back a little. But it's not noticeable. My wife has been riding with this modification for 4 years.

05 RK Classic, Black Cherry
IBA member #32738
"Before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything".
Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckball View Post
I made the modification to mine which gained us a little over an inch more room. I don't have any pictures so I'll to explain.

If you look at the bracket that the rear mount is attached to there are two mounting holes. The mount should be in the top hole. There is a flat strap that is attached to your rear mount and runs forward.

Remove the rear mount for the backrest. Loosen the flat strap at it's forward attaching point. Swing the flat strap down to a point halfway between the upper mounting hole where your backrest mount is supposed to be and the lower mounting hole in the bracket. Use the flat strap as a template to locate a place to drill a new hole for the mount halfway between the two factory holes in the bracket. Then simply re-install your rear mount in the new hole.

As you move the rear mounting point down it swings through a small arc. This changes the angle of the backrest, kinda lays it back a little. But it's not noticeable. My wife has been riding with this modification for 4 years.
thanks for the tip...i did it this morning, except i drilled the bottom hole 3/8''...i left the strap on the top hole and bolted it with 1/4''x20 bolt....i gained 2 1/2'' inches... i had to remove my luggage rack that bolts to backrest , as it angels it down too much and it hits the license plate
Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 AM

P