Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Class action suit against Harley

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Class action suit against Harley

If you have an extended warranty on your bike and took it into the shop to have it worked on and they charged you for "Teardown", you might not be the only person they gave the pickle to. It seems that they finally did it to the wrong guy (maybe he was a lawyer) and he took his case to court. Evidently some judge decided to lump a bunch of similar cases together and grant them class action status. This one should prove to be interesting as many owners feel the pain when having their bikes serviced by dealers. See below.

Thursday June 11,2009- LOS ANGELES (CN) - A federal class action claims Harley-Davidson promises that its extended service contract limits customers' bills to $50 for each repair visit, but it charges extra for "diagnostic and teardown procedures" without limit.
Plaintiffs seek restitution and punitive damages. They are represented by Jonathan Selbin with Lieff, Cabrase & Heimann of New York, N.Y.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI, in class action suits, the plaintiffs get peanuts and the lawyers get rich. And yes, I am an attorney (or at least I was until I switched careers). I used to say (jokingly) that my professional ambition was to find the right case and certify a class so I could retire early.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"That's why I do my own wrenching"...
Sorry, just had to get that outta the way. You know it was coming, and probably from quite a few.

I trust a couple of the wrenches at my dealership, and they've never hit me with any extra charges beyond the deductible. I'm lucky I guess.

I also have an indy that does some of the work. I pay to play these days. I've busted enough knuckles/fingers in my day. Frankly I'd rather protect my fingers so I can keep playing my guitar. It brings me more enjoyment than wrenching.

Last edited by Phurion; 06-12-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they win agreed the plaintiffs will get peanuts but the greed will stop for the rest of the public.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not gettin' righteous here but I've never purchased an extended warranty for any product at any time. Those things just never seemed to make sense to me. A dealer tells you how trouble free and reliable their product is and then pushes hard for a sell on an extended warranty (for big bucks). Pretty ironic.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Beeracuda
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the extended warranty for my bike. It was 5 years old at the time, had 33,000 miles, was modified and I ride over 20,000 per year. I was never charged more than $50.00 per visit...and I had a lot of them. Probably to the tune of $2,500.00 or more in repairs. I definitely came out ahead on the deal...

Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Cool

Caveat emptor (buyer beware). If you're going to buy extended; then ask the critical questions before the first need for service, not after the fact. I'm not surprised though.....it was just a question of time before someone would think that they had conolees big enough to take on the MOCO. Good luck with that one!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Not gettin' righteous here but I've never purchased an extended warranty for any product at any time. Those things just never seemed to make sense to me. A dealer tells you how trouble free and reliable their product is and then pushes hard for a sell on an extended warranty (for big bucks). Pretty ironic.

+3 on this one

They are pretty worthless and nothing more than a cash cow for the dealership. I usually trade up after 2-3 years so I have n need for it! I'd rather take that money and put in my pocket or use it for goodies for the bike!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Bunch of BS, Just bunch of ***** lawers that will make a bunch money.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep i got the extended warrenty and never had to use it-ride safe

Quick Reply: Class action suit against Harley