Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Light Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Decker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour Pack Light Kit

Has any one tackled the installation of the wrap around light kit for the King Tour pack? I am looking for lessons learned before I attempt cutting the openings for the light housings. How accurate is the template provided with the kit?

Old 05-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Default RE: Tour Pack Light Kit

I, personally, don't like to do any cutting of fiberglass myself. I would suggest getting quotes from an auto body shop, or a shop that specializes in fiberglass. The problem with doing it yourself is the possibility of cracking or overcutting the holes. Also, there is always a chance of having to do retouch work on scratches or nicks. A body shop would be able to fix these on their premises.

ORIGINAL: Decker

Has any one tackled the installation of the wrap around light kit for the King Tour pack? I am looking for lessons learned before I attempt cutting the openings for the light housings. How accurate is the template provided with the kit?

Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Decker
Novice

Thanks for your comments. Good suggestion.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:49 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Decker,

First of all your tour pack is plastic, not fiberglass. Second of all the wrap around light kit you want to install is larger than the hole you have to cut out for the light body to fit into so unless you are very inept and tend to cut way outside the lines, the light unit should cover any minor mistakes that you make. That said, the templates that are provided for any of the HD accessories are usually right on the money for proper alignment for your cut outs. Take your time with it. Cut it with a Sears Roto-tool. If that is not available, just use a hacksaw blade and cut the opening by hand. Grind the back side of the blade down from .5" to about .25". This will allow you to insert the blade thru a smaller diameter drill hole to begin your cut. I helped install one. Just take your time. Personally, if I wanted that light on my EG Classic, I would have bought an Ultra instead. I went for the Tour Pack Spoiler, Saddlebag Spoilers, after market "Hoglite" under the TP and replaced the lower side dress chrome pieces with HD #69494-06 Side Marker Light kit and the running/brake/directional upgrade HD #69461-06. Food for thought: How do you think the service techs do it? They read the installation instructions just like you would. Just my .3 cents (adjusted for inflation) worth.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/A6A9DF4AF7ED4DDA84AB7FD83F669597.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2006, 01:35 AM
ClassicBob
Intermediate

Decker,
I have done this on my ElectraGlide. It is not that hard to do. I used the template that was provided. I put masking tape on the tour pac so I would not scratch the paint. I would highly recommend getting a roto zip tool. Take your time because the bits will break if pushed to hard. This will give you a clean cut. You might try it on an area that will be removed first to get the feel of it After you install the light put silicone on the inside around the cut. It will look factory installed. I hope this helps you out. Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Decker
Novice

Thanks for your comments. General consensus is that the tour pack is made from fibreglas. I did consider the spoiler light kit, but decided I liked the wrap around light look better. Personal preference. Good advice regarding the Sears Roto-tool. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Decker
Novice

Thank you for your advice. I will investigate the roto tool for the cutting.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: Decker

Thanks for your comments. General consensus is that the tour pack is made from fibreglas. I did consider the spoiler light kit, but decided I liked the wrap around light look better. Personal preference. Good advice regarding the Sears Roto-tool. Thanks.
The saddlebags, fairing, side covers and tourpak are plastic. Not fiberglass.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:59 PM
HOGFLH
5th Gear

Do you still have the template?