Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tying down bagger on a trailer

Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tying down bagger on a trailer

Have you guys ever tied your bikes on a trailer? How did you do it? I usually go around the fork leg above the lower tree on the softail but I can't do it on the bagger.. Any ideas?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I use a wheel chock too. No ties above the wheel axles.

Attached Thumbnails Tying down bagger on a trailer-left-front-1.jpg   Tying down bagger on a trailer-right-front-2.jpg   Tying down bagger on a trailer-right-front-3.jpg   Tying down bagger on a trailer-right-passenger-4.jpg   Tying down bagger on a trailer-right-passenger-5.jpg  

Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Slayer dude
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soos
I use a wheel chock too. No ties above the wheel axles.
I always thought the higher the better. Guess not.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 PM
youngrider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I go from the pass floorboard brackets like soos in the back...then on the front I go around the crash bar where it attaches at the top of the frame with soft straps

Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kuryakyn sells some nice chrome brackets that attach on either side of your forks (the part where there are two bolts beside your switch caps). they look good, and work great.

Cannon

Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I use a Harbor Freight wheel chock to hold the bike upright..The Condor type....

Two tie downs from the fork/fender mount area (like SOOS), hooked to a section of E-Track... I have it pulling on the same angle as the forks straight down to the trailer floor.

Two tie downs going through the back wheel, one going left and one going right, so the bike doesn't shift in either direction.

SG did not move at all for the 325 mile trip to Lake George and then another 325 miles home.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by youngrider
I go from the pass floorboard brackets like soos in the back...then on the front I go around the crash bar where it attaches at the top of the frame with soft straps
Your a brave man.....I would not trust either of those tie down points but that's just me....

Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 PM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a wheel chock (loop or shoe type) on my trailer, never thought of going as low as the lower leg like Soos.. I was actually thinking of going around the grips with the loops and tying it down, but I'm not sure the bars are strong enough..

Last edited by customsoftail200; 06-16-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:57 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by customsoftail200
I was actually thinking of going around the grips with the loops and tying it down, but I'm not sure the bars are strong enough..
Geez, whatever you do, stay off the bars. You're right, the bars are not strong enough. They are at best, 1" diameter with a .04 -.06 wall thickness. Tying above the front wheel axle involves compressing the front shocks. Doing that will put tremendous pressure on the bars which could cause them to rotate down loosening the straps or damaging the bars and still loosening the straps. Tying at the axles does not compress the forks and lets the bike ride its own suspension.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gone to using a Condor chock and I only strap to the rider pegs, it will pull the suspension front and rear down anf the bike never moves. I use 2 set of straps on them. I use to do it the way SOS does it in his photos and never had an issue with the front fender either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tying down bagger on a trailer