Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil blow by through breather

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 AM
ljporter
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil blow by through breather

I have an '02 Ultra that looses oil through the breather. The local shop said I was riding it too hard. I don't.

I have now (had it) converted it a trike and it's worse.

Any thoughts? I have install the Dogherty(sp) Mistfrees and it help little to none.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:47 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not kidding. I had it happen once to me on a long, long trip and a guy on this forum told me to put a panty liner in the bottom of the ac cover. I haven't done it yet, but it makes sense.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

Have you had a big bore kit or stage 1 installedd?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:20 AM
nocages4me
Tourer

It could be a few things, It happened to me on my 2001 Ultra on a trip and it turned out it was the oil pump alignment. It could also be your umbrella valves but that wasn't my problem. I blew out a quart of oil in less than 600 miles. If it is the oil pump you need to re-align it. I went to ebay to find the tools, they are two tapered dowels about 2 inches long. First you need to remove your pipes and cam cover. Once that is off you will see your cam plate and the 2 gears. Release the tension on the tension arm, remove gears. You loosen all 4 bolts from the oil pump removing 2 opposite corner bolts completely. You then put in the tapered tool that re-aligns the oil pump. Torque the remaining 2 bolts and then remove the tapered tools and reinstall the last 2 bolts. Put it all back together and your done. I never had a problem again once I did this. Quick tip, make sure that the marks on the gears line up perfectly. If it's off one tooth it will throw and error code.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

must be somewhat common, some oil. when I took my bike in to have the new jiffy stand bracket put on, of course they checked the tires, brake pads, did a real complete check over of the bike in the service drive. before he was done he took his fingers and put them behind the breather cover and slid them, (like a lady looking for dust on furniture), pulled his fingers out and luckily they were clean..his only comment was...bike is great shape...(hell, it ought to be, it's only 9 months old) so my dealer checks the blowby on all bikes that come in.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

On my '04 ultra, I was getting a lot of oil dripping and it turned out to be the breather hoses were dry and cracked. Instead of the oil mist getting getting sucked thru the air filter, it was dripping off the cracked hoses. 20 minutes and about $2.00 for replacement hoses and problem solved.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Common problem when too much oil gets added to the crank case. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
iambill
Tourer

last year comming back from sturgis I went into a " jiffy lube" type place before leaving town for an oil change. I figured they do so many that week they should know what they are doing.
WRONG!
The kid put too much oil in and for the long ride home, I couldn't figure out where and why i was getting oil on my bike and chaps.
My wife then told me she saw him put 5 full quarts in, which explained the situation.
At least my chaps won't rust for a while

Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 AM
JohnCA58
Tourer

my bike will only do it when I am riding at 75 to 80 mph.... I finally just bought a stainless line and remove the hose going to the backing plate and plugged it and ran the stainless line around the back and dropped it between the trans and engine on the primary side. I have not had any drops on the shop floor since. I like it better than drawing oil into the intake with the suction. I use to run the oil down to the add mark, didn't like doing that during the summer heat, now I run the oil to the full mark.