Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Street Glide Extreme Heat rear wheel and tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:18 PM
flhxGhostRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Street Glide Extreme Heat rear wheel and tire

Yesterday I took off on a 300 mile ride on my 2008 Street Glide with 5,000 miles on it and half way through I started to notice a noise coming from the rear. I stopped and checked and the rear tire and wheel was so hot you could not even touch it. I checked the brake to see if it was dragging but it looked ok. No noise when driving around town but a couple miles at highway speeds the noise starts, hard to explain noise but it is not a high pitch noise but when I apply brakes it does not go away. As mentioned the rear tire felt like it was ready to melt and the rim to hot to touch. I checked front tire and rim and they were mostly cool. Any ideas!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:00 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

They do get extremely hot. That's one reason to never try and plug a tire. The noise is another story, I would suspect wheel bearings or the belt slightly slipping due to heat.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:04 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

IDS bearing maybe?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:07 PM
flhxGhostRider
Intermediate

I will have to get it in to the shop this week. With only 5,000 miles on the bike it is a pain to have these problems. I will let you guys know what they find.

Last edited by flhxGhostRider; 06-21-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Edit wording
Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
IDS bearing maybe?
Funny you should suggest that. I came back from a 1,200 mile trip thru VA-NC-TN last night. About 40 miles from home I heard a 'clicking' sound when I pulled off from the light. Happend again at the next light so I pulled off and took a quick look, checked the belt tension which was fine so I continued on. By the time I made it to the house it sounded like it was going to explode at any moment. After I washed it and had beer, well maybe two, I pulled the rear axle and the ball bearing from the IDS fell all over the floor. The inner race came out in two pieces.

Since it's obviously not ridable I'm going to take the wheel, axle, bearing and IDS to the dealer after work, it should be a warranty issue.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:58 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
Since it's obviously not ridable I'm going to take the wheel, axle, bearing and IDS to the dealer after work, it should be a warranty issue.
Unless you bring the bike with the parts your gonna get your heart broke.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

In all my years never heard of this one.Let us know what you find.Nothing wrong with plugging a tire no matter the conditions.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by rocknrod
Unless you bring the bike with the parts your gonna get your heart broke.

You might be right about that. I'm going to call them before I head out there. Just hate to put my bike on a trailer if I don't have to.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Well what did you find out? Inquiring minds want to know...and know now!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:33 AM
flhxGhostRider
Intermediate

The shop called late yesterday and they can not find anything wrong with it, imagine that. I guess my passenger and myself were just hearing things and the extreme heat, well maybe the rear wheel and tire is suppose to be that way to grill hot dogs. I will pick the bike up tonight and let you guys know if I'm just crazy or there is a problem. The only problem they did find was the transmission was a little low. Now were did the fluid go? 08 Street glides hold 1 quart in transmission right? Well thats what I was charged for at last service, anyway !!!!!!

Quick Reply: 08 Street Glide Extreme Heat rear wheel and tire