Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have trouble installing Hogtune ultrasound on a roadglide?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:19 PM
sportsterleroy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have trouble installing Hogtune ultrasound on a roadglide?

I did an install on my 2006 roadglide today.
Remove battery cables ok
Removed fairing with windshield attached ok
Having hogtunes in the front speakers already, figured easy install of a job.

The amp mounted to the special plate that attached to fairing mount bolts. everything good.

Attach wiring harness to amp and wire speaker connections and shrinked wrapped excess length of wire into a bundle to zip tie under fairing. Things look good and neat.

I next unbolted front and rear of the gas tank and support on a block of wood to fish rear rear speaker harness on frame back bone under tank.

I used about 5 zipties attached together to pull wires under tank after using black tape to cover the pos and neg wires into the harness which attach to the battery under the seat. Also tied the zipties to the end and went fishing. everything still good.

tested amp and no power, dumb me didnt hook it to the battery.LOL

ok it works so go to button up the fairing .

if you have ever tried to put a roadglide fairing it is a pain in the A## to do. Some where I read remove headlamp housing (3 push in clips ) and install outer fairing being able to see hooks that it sits on.

2 minutes to remove head lamp 2 minutes to install outer fairing. GREAT Im Happy.

Install turn signals ,next the 6 screws to hold the fairing on and then go to install headlight housing and dam the bottom left clip wont go in.

Look at it not broken, so I figure amp wires in way of where the head lamp housing sits under fairing , so off it comes to readjust wires to make room and try again.

I am getting smarter now, I Hang outer fairing (no screws or Ts installed ) looks like room for headlamp housing and try to install headlamp bracket. same thing again .
I had the fairing off 3 more times moving wire more zip tiesbut every time the same.

off with the outer fairing and while smoking a cigarette I see scratch marks on the amp plate attached to the fairing brackets, Hmmm. is this my problem?

Get the drill out and drill 2 lg holes into the amp bracket and file a rectangle slot so the lower left headlamp adjustment bolt passes thru. Headlamp bracket locks in place and I button every thing up.

I searched this site and no mention of this problem of the amp bracket. In fact I just watched the video of the rdglide install at hogtunes.com and thought I might have had the amp plate backwards but no it was correct.

LAST REMARKS. I Love the sound and cant be more pleased
Leroy

Old 06-26-2009, 10:44 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting the same system on mine, so I am glad you like it,

My dealer is doing the install as they re-build my bike after a deer accident, so I hope they do not have an issue,

Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What gain setting did you set the amp at (db wise)?

Mark

Old 06-27-2009, 12:08 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed the same system on my RG last year. I already knew the headlight trick so that made it easier. I do know that there is very little clearance for the headlight so any wires in the way will F things up. I didn't have the issue with the bracket. Mine is clear. I completely removed my tank to run the wires inside the plastic channel. It is a PITA to get the tank off without making a big gas mess. I bought a quick connect for the crossover hose so I can pull the tank without a mess in the future.

I set the gain in the middle but wasn't happy with it over time so I set it on high.

I would give the Hogtunes Ultrasound set-up a score of 7 out of 10. I would like more volume. Mine seems to top out even before the volume bar gets all the way up. I probably end up spending some big bucks for a high powered system eventually. For now, the HT system is a good system for not a lot of money.

Steve

Old 06-27-2009, 07:04 AM
sportsterleroy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I think about it I "might of had the bracket reversed" , but looking at the pic on the instruction sheet , I ziptied the turnsignal wire thru the hole..

I will have it off again soon to repair 2 screw wholes stripped by dealer. Gona used j-b 4 min quick weld and drill small hole to start out.

I did a bunch to the fairing yesterday too, the windshield had the famous marks in the black lower section and the dealers fix was grind the inner faring a little and install some trim. looked like shi#.

Got some rubber winshield molding that goes on b4 they goop the glass, from a friend.
cleaned up their mess and will see if it does the trick.

gonna install a set of wagner h4 britelite bulbs when off too.
Leroy

question about the amp seems great under speeds b4 the auto volume control kicks in, so I wonder what does the 0/3+/3-do?.