Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S, REV TECH, JIMS 124ci and above durability

Old 06-30-2009, 02:37 AM
jake318
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S&S, REV TECH, JIMS 124ci and above durability

Hi everyone, I had a guy at the harley dealership(customer) who swore that ANY Harley motor 124ci or above couldnyt get 30,000miles on it without having to do a rebuild . I stated a 124ci or above motor should get at least 50k as long as the motor was lubricated properly , temps kept in normal operating range . And regular maintinance is performed. So out of curiousity . How many miles have you racked up on your 124ci and above harley motor ( S&S, REV TECH, JIMS ECT I would include R&R but they are more of a shop made motor than Harley ) Thanks ... Jake

Old 06-30-2009, 03:09 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

good post, i'm curious as to what comes into it.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:30 AM
jake318
Cruiser

Come on folks , dont be shy . I know thier has to be at least 20 different people on here with 124ci and above motors on here ... jake

Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I think we are going to find that although these big motors have been around a while, it is not long enough for most owners to cover big mileages. I have done 8k miles in the year I have had my S&S 107, so it will likely take another 5-6 years for me to get round to 50k.

Another recent candidate to add to the list is Ultima.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM
jake318
Cruiser

brown your like me with 6 bikes lol. no wonder only 8k . I cant see why adding displacement would lower peoples riding time ? Actually if the person likes his / her bike enough to build a bigger motor they are hard core motorcyclist and would have a tendancy to put more miles on . Jake

Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 PM
jake318
Cruiser

King how many miles on your S&S 124ci motor?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by jake318
brown your like me with 6 bikes lol. no wonder only 8k . I cant see why adding displacement would lower peoples riding time ? Actually if the person likes his / her bike enough to build a bigger motor they are hard core motorcyclist and would have a tendancy to put more miles on . Jake
Jake,

I have five! Really could cut that to three, so must get my act together and shift a couple - they don't have V-twins in 'em!

You are quite right. All I was saying is that big inch motors have not been popular for very long, just 2-3 years IMHO, although they have been around longer. Unless someone who does very high annual mileages passes by here, to read this post, I don't think we are not going to get much news.

The only place there may be a few high mileage owners is in the Ultima 107 thread. There are hardly any S&S owners who post on HDF or admit to owning them! But they have been making big motors (not just parts) for several years and probably longer than anyone else.

Its almost as if most of the big inch motors disappear down a black hole, never to be seen or heard of again!

Last edited by grbrown; 07-28-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

my 08 is a 96, but i need no more power. if i did anything beyond the rineharts, screamin eagle air cleaner, and stage 1 download it would be the 103 and cams. ya gotta figure these bikes were built with plenty to go down the road, two up, all day long. i've not gotten to the point to where what i got isn't enough to do its intended job. i ride a harley for the quality, style, reliability, and especially the longevity. i've got all that now, so building it to be able to outrun someone elses' roadking, would be of no value to me. if i were wanting 145 hp and 150 torque, i would have gotten a triumph rocket III.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldnt so much worry about displacement (given enough cyl wall) as I would worry about compression for a long term/use powerplant

Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
gunnert
Road Captain

I have a crate 124" S&S in my custom bagger. Only have about 5,000 miles on it now. Based on operating temperatures, power curve, etc, I'll be surprised if the longevity isn't very similar to, if not better, than any high performance twin cam, regardless of size. Tell your Harley mechanic to go back to removing and replacing parts...unfortunately, that's about all most HD Dealer mechanics do anymore. Not their fault, the dealer is chasing the dollar. The dollar is in R/R parts that should have been stock to begin with...
For a high performance Harley motor go to S&S, GMR, R&R, Hillside, T-man, or one of the the many other motor guys. Never ask a Harley Dealer mechanic for advice... My two cents worth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S&S, REV TECH, JIMS 124ci and above durability