Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics radio retro kit on an ultra

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Biketronics radio retro kit on an ultra

The radio on my 07 ultra died. I have done a lot of searching on the Biketronics kit and a Sony marine radio, and was ready to buy.

Looking at pictures of the Biketronics kit, it appears it ties into the base radio 23 pin connector only. The ultra also uses a 35 pin connector also.

Has anyone used the Biketronic kit on an Ultra, and what functions do you lose by not tieing into the 35 pin connector. Looking at the wiring diagram it looks I would lose rear speaker control and CB control.

Anyone have a Harman/kardan radio for sale at a reasoable price?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you watch the classifieds here you will see them posted fairly often. I bought one on here last year. Maybe post a WTB in the WTB section. I am sure you will get a few responses

Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 PM
bissjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Check Dealer

Anyone have a Harman/kardan radio for sale at a reasoable price?

Check with your dealer. I think you can replace it for around $200.00 if you give them yours. I may be wrong on the price but I remember reading some where about swaping for a rebuilt one.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why don't you call Biketronics and ask them? They're pretty easy to contact and very good to talk to and I'll bet they even have an answer to your question.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

I need a new radio also and have been looking at the biketronics kits. From what I understand thought is they are a plug and play so as long as you tell them what you have it should bolt right in and plug up...maybe I am missing something.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:11 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plug and play depending on your new stereo. I went with the Kenwood KVT819 DVD, and had to solder about 11 wires. I can scroll through the inputs, ( IPOD, DYD, TUNER, VIDEO1, VIDEO2, etc), and scroll through radio tuner favorites. I also have VOLUME CONTROL, ( most important).

The Biketronics also has the AVC, which I don't think anyone else offers.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:57 AM
chasswartz
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harman/kardon radio

What I have found out so far is on the ultra you will lose the cb and intercom function with any after market system.

Iron Cross Audio will repair Harman/Kardon radios for $250. Mine was not repairable. This was from a wrecked bike I bought for a winter project. The display panel had been knocked off in the wreck, and the bike sat out in the rain, causing excessive rust on all the components. The radio did work for about 5000 miles after putting it back together.

I would prefer to keep the stock radio in the bike, I did post in the WTB section.