Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:21 PM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars

Hey all, I just came back from a local dealership that had a 2009 Road King with Wild 1 Inc WO508's going on. They let me sit on the bike, and take pictures, which I will post later. I have 513's on my bike right now, which I am going to be switching out of for reasons to come - I will take pictures of me holding them as well.

Back to the 508's, as I see a lot of people looking for replacement bars... I am just over 6'1'', 190lbs, 33" inseam, and wear a dress shirt with 35" sleeves. I like to ride sitting straight up, and slouching back at times, and the stock RKC bars were killing me - too far forward (11" pullback) and too low (7" rise).

The 508's have 5.5" rise, but the hand grip is level to the bend, so they are practically straight back from the front of the bike, and are at the same height as the stock bars give or take. These bars are 32.5" wide, so it creates a wheelbarrel type of effect when you consider that they have a 16" pullback. Since I am tall, sit back in my seat, and reach forward / down to the bars, my shoulders have to rotate forward / my scapulae have to extend outward a tiny bit (which may or may not cause middle back pain eventually), and while my forearms are pointing forward, my wrists / hands are then projected at a 45 degree angle in order to have full contact with the grip (I also feel some pressure on the outside of my hand since this is not a normal angle). This would not be comfortable over the long-haul - The pictures will tell the tale.

The 518's are a little wider at 35.5", and have 14.25" pullback, so the angle is less on the wrists / hands, but now the bar is further away (and the same height of 5.5"), which will be better in that regard, but now I have to rotate my shoulders forward / extend my scapulae more to reach them at that low position. This will most likely begin to hurt my back in time.

I almost forgot... I have 513's on there now, with 8.5" rise, and 11.5" pull back - they are in alignment with the fork tubes. They are still a little too far forward for me, and a little low for my preferred riding postion. I could rotate them towards me, but that will take away from the height that I like when riding sitting upright, so I need some more length (I know that doesn't sound right) to be able to move them forward and back.

The owner of the harley dealership, whose bike had the 508's going on it, took me to the back of the service area where one of his wrenches had 16" apes on his road king (pushed forward of the forks), and sat me on it. AHHHHHHHHHH... height... good.... no reaching forward.... good.... no scapulae extension... good.... and as weird as it looks to me, these apes are a blessing for me as a taller guy. With the 09 frame being extended some, reach is even more of an issue, and the apes can be moved around quite a bit. I will get as many pictures as I can for people, and with that, I think I will be placing my order for WO502's, with 12'5" rise and 12" pullback.

The name of the dealership is Williams Harley Davidson, in Lebanon, NJ. I didn't buy my bike there, and they knew I was only coming there to look at the bars for reference sake. I had 3 different people talking and working with me, including the owner, a parts person, and a mechanic, which showed me that they care about the people who come through their door.. amazing! It is also noteworthy that A LOT of bikes were in there being customized, so they must be doing something right. I hope this helps....

Last edited by RoadKingKamchi; 07-03-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:04 PM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

I welcome any / all contributions....

Old 07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you've made your decision.... But I love the 508's on my bike, and they're probably going on the next one too... Guess it's a personal thing, but once you find the right fit, you can really enjoy riding. Seat, backrest, bars are critical to the enjoyment of long rides. Good Luck.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:25 PM
TRVSDAD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

508s for me too. I think, maybe there 518s. I'm getting old. Yes they are 518s.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for the review...I'm sure there'll be more questions about the same thing down the road so for those who use the Search function your comments will be useful.

I've been somewhat biased against apes, but I do admit at times sitting on bikes and thinking the mid-height bars are comfortable. My bike went from mini-beach bars to the 518's. As long as I ride with my drivers backrest, I don't have any problems with back pain. If I ever get another bike, it'll be a toss up 'tween apes and 518's.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wo502 chubby 12.5" apes:

Attached Thumbnails **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars-img_1147.jpg  
Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 PM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

Originally Posted by TRVSDAD
508s for me too. I think, maybe there 518s. I'm getting old. Yes they are 518s.
Thank you for your contribution... can you state your dims? Height / Inseam / Reach - Sleeve Length / Riding Styel... they all make a difference

Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 PM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer
Default Pictures of wrist angle with 508's

Attached, please find pics of the 508's from today....

Attached Thumbnails **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars-508side.jpg   **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars-508wrist.jpg  
Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Certified Drunk
Tourer

How about some Carlini, Bag-Drag bars
www.carlinidesign.com
I have them on my bike,

Old 07-04-2009, 09:17 AM
RoadKingKamchi
Tourer

Originally Posted by Certified Drunk
How about some Carlini, Bag-Drag bars
www.carlinidesign.com
I have them on my bike,
Wow... Certified... those are beautiful bars! Their dimensions are closer to 518's than 508's... they have some more width, some more rise, but less pull back, which could make or break it for a taller person who sits back in his / her saddle and rides with an upright position. Money aside, I would love to sit on a bike that has them...

I have to ask... how tall are you, what is your riding style, what is your inseam, and what is your shirt sleeve length... thanks! Andrew

Quick Reply: **TOURING HANDLEBARS**Wild One WO508, 518, 513, 515, 502 - Handlebars