Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE: On damaged Purple Flake front fender!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UPDATE: On damaged Purple Flake front fender!

For those of you kind enough to chime in on my girl not letting me know when she heard a loud bang resulting in a damaged front fender on her Purple Flake Street Glide, cool news follows.

Had off tuesday, so I decided to get her bike ready for an evening ride with our group. Something catches my eye as I roll the bike out, the sticky tape residue left behind from a wheel weight. Then I remember that the mechanic put a regular weight on the rear wheel, but put one of those square, thick, chrome, H-D logo wheel weights on the front because the plain ones look like crap. Problem is, he didn't put it on the center of the wheel or the flat area adjacent to the bead. He put it on the sloped part of the wheel where the wheel transitions from the center to the bead. The wheel weight simply walked itself toward the edge of the wheel from the obvious centrifagul force of the rotating wheel. You can actually see the smear from the tape residue.

Ok, so now I know how it happened, and now I know I'm sure as hell not paying for it. Well, I call the dealer (service dept.) today to explain what happened and typical of my experince so far with this dealer, the attitude is an immediate "we'll make it right" type of response. Very nice! On the rare chance they would have given me a hard time, I would have done what it takes to have them buy a new fender. But, no need to even go there because their attitude has always been customer-service driven. Talk about relieved!! I don't mind a mistake when somebody will step up to the plate to make thngs right. These guys sure put my mind at ease.

So, bottom line is, it was an honest screw-up of wheel weight placement, it came off and launched itself into the underside of her fender, the dealer will take care of the repair and soon all will be right with the world again.

Cool huh? My girl is thrilled, I'm ecstatic, and I'm not out hundreds of dollars for somebody elses oops. Thought you all might appreciate some good news. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:19 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,938 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Good to hear.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Hammer107
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
For those of you kind enough to chime in on my girl not letting me know when she heard a loud bang resulting in a damaged front fender on her Purple Flake Street Glide, cool news follows.

Had off tuesday, so I decided to get her bike ready for an evening ride with our group. Something catches my eye as I roll the bike out, the sticky tape residue left behind from a wheel weight. Then I remember that the mechanic put a regular weight on the rear wheel, but put one of those square, thick, chrome, H-D logo wheel weights on the front because the plain ones look like crap. Problem is, he didn't put it on the center of the wheel or the flat area adjacent to the bead. He put it on the sloped part of the wheel where the wheel transitions from the center to the bead. The wheel weight simply walked itself toward the edge of the wheel from the obvious centrifagul force of the rotating wheel. You can actually see the smear from the tape residue.

Ok, so now I know how it happened, and now I know I'm sure as hell not paying for it. Well, I call the dealer (service dept.) today to explain what happened and typical of my experince so far with this dealer, the attitude is an immediate "we'll make it right" type of response. Very nice! On the rare chance they would have given me a hard time, I would have done what it takes to have them buy a new fender. But, no need to even go there because their attitude has always been customer-service driven. Talk about relieved!! I don't mind a mistake when somebody will step up to the plate to make thngs right. These guys sure put my mind at ease.

So, bottom line is, it was an honest screw-up of wheel weight placement, it came off and launched itself into the underside of her fender, the dealer will take care of the repair and soon all will be right with the world again.

Cool huh? My girl is thrilled, I'm ecstatic, and I'm not out hundreds of dollars for somebody elses oops. Thought you all might appreciate some good news. Thanks!
So if the dealer does you solid...why not put their name in the post for anyone that might be interested.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Pheebo
Advanced
Smile Wheel weight

I read you first post and was thinking about it today. I knew there had to be damage to the tire if it picked up a "bolt" and slung it into the fender with enough force to damage the fender. Glad you found the source of the damage and the dealer is making it right.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:32 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it hit the fender....

Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sure they will make it right...by giving you a shiney new wheel weight! hah that will be cool if they actually cough up for a new fender, but would honestly surprise me.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hammer107
So if the dealer does you solid...why not put their name in the post for anyone that might be interested.
Easy, big duh on my part! Also, I've dropped their name here often enough where some wondered if I worked there. So, I eased off and if I saw interest, I'd come back with it. By all means, they're Seminole Harley in Sanford FL. From sales day number 1 until now, they have been consistent and I'm treated like they want to earn my business. That's why I drive the 250+ miles each way for service or whatever. And I get the bonus of a road trip! Hope that helps, and thanks for asking as it doesn't make me look like an insider "pitchman" for them. Good people.

and..."Pheebo" "I read you first post and was thinking about it today. I knew there had to be damage to the tire if it picked up a "bolt" and slung it into the fender with enough force to damage the fender."

EXACTLY! That's why I was so animate about not knowing about it and not being able to inspect until hours later. We each have our chores, mine is taking care of the bikes (I like mine better!), I'd feel pretty damn bad if something were to happen because I didn't have the opportunity to check a potential problem. Good thing we got lucky this time!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent. Who is the dealer? I'd like to know.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Easy, big duh on my part! Also, I've dropped their name here often enough where some wondered if I worked there. So, I eased off and if I saw interest, I'd come back with it. By all means, they're Seminole Harley in Sanford FL. From sales day number 1 until now, they have been consistent and I'm treated like they want to earn my business. That's why I drive the 250+ miles each way for service or whatever. And I get the bonus of a road trip! Hope that helps, and thanks for asking as it doesn't make me look like an insider "pitchman" for them. Good people.

and..."Pheebo" "I read you first post and was thinking about it today. I knew there had to be damage to the tire if it picked up a "bolt" and slung it into the fender with enough force to damage the fender."

EXACTLY! That's why I was so animate about not knowing about it and not being able to inspect until hours later. We each have our chores, mine is taking care of the bikes (I like mine better!), I'd feel pretty damn bad if something were to happen because I didn't have the opportunity to check a potential problem. Good thing we got lucky this time!
NM. Good to hear a dealer takes care of their customers. Hear too many stories of the opposite, and then they wonder why they're out of business ...

Old 07-10-2009, 09:40 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's awesome

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UPDATE: On damaged Purple Flake front fender!