Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost ready to buy a Yam Roadliner - after my '07 SG - Can't seem to do it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:45 AM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Almost ready to buy a Yam Roadliner - after my '07 SG - Can't seem to do it!

OK...I sold my '07 Street Glide last Fall in a fit of panic after losing my job. Now that things are looking good again (rare, I know)...I am looking for my next ride (this'll be my 6th in 20 years).

I have been skittish about spending $20k (after a few basic add-ons) so started looking around. Rode my buddy's Roadliner (Yammy) and another buddy's Victory Touring Cruiser (the discontinued tank-ish bikes).

I can grab a new Roadliner (very nice scoot - superb build quality, etc etc) for around $11k, then add all of the crap I'd need to add (like on any bike) - around $3k more. Prob end-up with everything for $13-$14k. An older ('04-'05) Victory for $8k...those things run great, feel like the good American bike they are...but some of the finer points and styling is sketchy as h**l...feels kinda like something you'd build in your garage...but strong.

Soooo...the thing is...I just do NOT feel anywhere near as excited about the idea of walking out to hop on a Roadliner as I did with my SG or a RK, possibly. I am now driving myself nuts as I am wondering if I just hang-on and wait until I can find an '08 or maybe even an '09 Road King or Street Glide for something like $16k...basically pay $3k more to LOVE what I am riding.

Though I have been somewhat attracted to the 'Liner, I hate to say, because of the "mass market" thing that has happened to HD over the years...it's a flippin Superstore cliche' almost these days...and that kinda bugs me...it's gone from being a unique thing to being everywhere. (I know, that's whole diff topic - sorry).

Yeah yeah.."Just ride"...I am all for that but have any of you gone through this brain damage? There are some VERY nice bikes out there...not all HD...but I can't get HD out of my heart. If money were no object, it's no brainer of course.

Sgn

Old 07-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Buy another Harley....there isn't a substitute. You'll never be happy with the Jap product, although they have their merits. There are SO many barely used, and pampered Harleys out there. Also, many dealers on the East coast and Northern states have a lot of inventory, some even have new '08 models, that you can get a VERY good deal.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:04 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Mr. W...Yeah, I am no stranger to doing my research...I think I'll save myself and just see if I can find somehting I love for $15-$16k.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you should be soliciting advice from the Yammy Forums instead of here if you need convincing to go with the rice burner HD wannabee.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If it does not truly make you jump at it then I wouldn't buy it. Because you will regret it later. Only one thing is keeping me from selling my 2000 Suzuki Intruder LC... The wife will not let me because it was "our" first bike. BUt at least she is letting me buy more. I will be getting a Street Glide when I get back to the states. Whoo hooo.... OH I also have to buy a Night Train for the daughter... So she will stay away form my Wide Glide.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:54 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,023 Posts

You can find a lot of really good Harleys for $15K, if that is what you really want. And I do mean a LOT!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sgnden
I just do NOT feel anywhere near as excited about the idea of walking out to hop on a Roadliner as I did with my SG or a RK
I think you answered your own question! Plus, lot of great deals on used, low mileage HD's out there now.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:05 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

right now its a buyers market although you may have to search a while but people are loosing jobs every day so the deals are there.. Relax and search a lot..

Old 07-12-2009, 01:09 PM
catracho
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a Harley period!!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seriously, why are you even asking this question? You all ready know what you want. Why would you settle for less???

Quick Reply: Almost ready to buy a Yam Roadliner - after my '07 SG - Can't seem to do it!