Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBW Issue "Again"

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
ICEMAN-WB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBW Issue "Again"

Like quite a few of you, when I purchased my 08 Ultra, it had some TBW issues. At idle or at slow cruise, the RPM's would advance on their own from 2,000 to 3,000. They fixed this issue several months later with a new software download.. Until now, 12 months later, I have not had a TBW issue... Here is what happened next.... I was leading a group of bikes and was traveling over 50 MPH and the RPM's went to idle and the check engine light came on. I let the bike cool (it was 104 in Dallas) and reset the throttle... The bike worked fine for a couple days...and then it happened again...

Now they are replacing the induction module (under warranty of course)...but for those of you who have TBW ....this could be a scenario you may be faced with in the future.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh.....GOODIE! Something else to look forward to.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:08 PM
ivel_86
Tourer

Man what ever happend to good ol cable. I mean I love my RG but I am very concerned about this.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:50 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JKs Ultra Classic
Like quite a few of you, when I purchased my 08 Ultra, it had some TBW issues. At idle or at slow cruise, the RPM's would advance on their own from 2,000 to 3,000. They fixed this issue several months later with a new software download.. Until now, 12 months later, I have not had a TBW issue... Here is what happened next.... I was leading a group of bikes and was traveling over 50 MPH and the RPM's went to idle and the check engine light came on. I let the bike cool (it was 104 in Dallas) and reset the throttle... The bike worked fine for a couple days...and then it happened again...

Now they are replacing the induction module (under warranty of course)...but for those of you who have TBW ....this could be a scenario you may be faced with in the future.
Your first issue was an ECU issue, not a TBW issue. There is a difference. If a reflash fixed the issue, it wasn't a TBW issue. If it were a TBW issue, they would be replacing the induction module like they're doing with your second issue.

With that being said, I have ridden my brand new 2009 RKC in temps well above 104 already this year and there has been no issue with my throttle, either the ECU or the induction module.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:50 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ivel_86
Man what ever happend to good ol cable. I mean I love my RG but I am very concerned about this.

Your "good old cable" was still subject to failure.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:14 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the Good-Old TBW is blamed "again" for some other problem.
Try ridin your broken cable home.
The TBW has a limp home mode.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:16 PM
navyman
Road Master

I have 31,000 miles on my '08 Ultra with no TBW or other issues. Just lucky I guess. I hope your problem gets resolved for good.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Snuffy1
Cruiser

No problems at 14,000 miles.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:07 PM
ICEMAN-WB
Advanced

I hate to differ with those who indicate my first issue was not a TWB issue... IT WAS and verified by HD. They indicated that the software program written for the first 08 Models had a programing error and needed to be corrected... The previous software program was allowing riders to reset the nominal idle condition during shut down...if they moved the throttle. Issue corrected with a new software update.

I am not faulting the TBW, I just had two issue related to the TBW system.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:31 PM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
Your "good old cable" was still subject to failure.
sounds like your good old tbw is subject to failure as well.lol

Quick Reply: TBW Issue "Again"