Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Speed Wobble

Old 07-16-2009, 10:27 PM
VirgCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Speed Wobble

I have a 2008 Annv Ultra Classic. Ever since i first went on a long ride with the Tour Pak filled and a bag on the rack - I have experienced a pronounced wobble (rear steer) at very low speeds - under 10MPH. When I try to u-turn or maneuver in a parking lot, the front end wobbles badly. No problem at high speeds. My dealer has checked all specs and said all seem fine but it continues. It usually starts at the end of the first day or start of the second of a long ride. Has anyone experienced this? Any input would be extremely appreciated.

Virgcs

Old 07-16-2009, 10:29 PM
digz`
Tourer

empty or loaded down or both?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you happen to have more weight in the tour-pak when it happens?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 AM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to say it but Virgil you sound like a troll.

You have two posts on the forum this past year and both are complaints. The first one was about vibrations so bad that you could not stand it but the dealer could not find the cause. Now you have a 10 mph wobble and still the dealer can not find the cause.

I would check your tank badge. I think that you might find a little rice grinder handle sticking out. You need to fold that down so that your handle bars don't hit it when you try to do a U turn.

Prove me wrong my friend.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM
VirgCS
6th Gear
Default Define Troll

OD - I thoght this was a forum for help on issues not an insult rag. Two issues in a year that I have trouble sorting out make me a Troll - whatever. I am working on this nagging issue and, by the way, I mitigated the vibrations with several small cures in combo with my mechanic - took a while and I got no help from you. I believe I have the combination to solve this damn wobble and it doesn't come from overseas - or once again from you.

Not sure why you feel I am somehow involved with metrcis but you couldn't be further from reality. My last bike was a 2001 RK and had no issues that didn't get immediately resolved - even though it was a repo when I got it. I love my Ultra but have some issues that have't been easy to fix - no smack at my dealer or the company, I'm just trying to get help. If you have any constructive advice, I'd love to hear it. If all you want to do is trash me - keep it to yourself.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:23 PM
VirgCS
6th Gear
Default to digz and wassup8687

The wobble only happens with a load on the tour pak - but I have weighed and the most I have ever put on it is about 30 lbs - no one seems to think that's too much - certainly doesn't seem that much. I put much heavier loads on my 2001 RK and never felt this.

In any event, I hope I have a solution and if it works, I'll post. Thanks for your interest.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,681 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Steering neck bearing too loose.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:44 PM
VirgCS
6th Gear
Default Steering neck bearings

Hi Doc,

That was the first thing my Mechanic said - if they are too loose you wobble low speed - to tight - high speed. After checking the bike out he decided not to mess with them - he said he was concerned he would create a high speed problem that would be worse than the low speed problem. It was a bit frustrating but hard to argue with a certified mechanic. The biggest issue is getting the symptoms to manifest when I have it in the shop. They really have never felt it although he did say he knows the wobble issue.

I appreciate your input and I'm not convinced that they shouldn't have been tightened -- but they weren't.

VirgCS

Old 07-17-2009, 07:54 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 09 has had a slow speed wobble on occasion, but not all the time. I noticed it the first time on a trip with the bags loaded and a bag on the tour pack. Very sharp turn in the parking lot, very slow, the front end shook badly. I thought it was the pavement because it didn't happen again for a few days. It has to be the right circumstances, and i'm going to ask the dealer about it next time I stop in. If you find the fix, let me know.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,681 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I have not heard too-tight==high speed wobble. I know from experience that too loose==low speed wobble. If it is still under warranty, I'd have it in there and tell them to go through the book and demonstrate the swing to you. He just doesn't want to do it because it is a major PITA to get to the thing. Faring off, radio out, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Speed Wobble