Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Roadtrip Comfort on a Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Kush
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Roadtrip Comfort on a Street Glide?

I currently ride a rigid pan/shovel chopper that's just killing me slowly, and I'd love to take some longer trips, so I'm out to get a new touring bike fairly soon.

I test drove an Electra Glide Standard today and loved it, but it was a little tall for me - I'm a short guy. I know the Street Glide is a bit shorter and actually sat on one and felt more comfortable in that respect, but did not test drive it.

Question is, how comfortable are the Street Glides on long trips compared to the Electra Glides? The EG Classic is the same price as the SG, which kills me because it's just too tall for me, but if anyone has insight into the Street Glides on long trips it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kush

Old 07-20-2009, 06:28 PM
burnafatty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be leaving on a coast to coast trip in a few days if that says anything on how I feel the comfort level is! being short as I am getting it turned and stopping on unlevel surfaces is not a problem. I have been doing all day rides in comfort.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:34 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Classic will ride softer than the Street Glide due to the longer shocks. If the Classic is a little too tall, remember the seat will set a little lower after a while. You can get a lower seat also. So if you like to tour a lot then I would get the Classic. The Street Glide is an awesome looking bike too though.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 PM
rnothog
Tourer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up My Two Cents

The differences between the two come down to three things: SG rear shock is shorter than EG, and the SG is lower because of it; EG will sit you closer to the bars on a much more comfortable seat; and EG has some pretty nice to have stuff (passing lamps, passenger footboards, tour pack on the Classic, etc.) while the SG has...white faced guages and styling.

I owned a 2006 SG - ergo's haven't changed. At 6'0" I'm still just a touch too far from the bars - the EG seat would change that.

The SG bottomed on me on I-70 in Colorful Colorado and my back didn't like it.

My SG was a nice looking scoot, but I'd get the Classic.

But...coming off of a rigid, you'll be fine on the SG for a long haul if its styling is for you. It was pretty comfortable, all in all.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member

I recently did a 2500 trip on mine. I have the stock seat, I just added a driver backrest and it made all the difference in the world. I will not do another long trip without the backrest.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 PM
rickxx
Tourer

get the e-glide and get shocks lowered. enjoy!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do 400 miles day on my SG with no problems. Get rid of the stock seat and add a backrest and you'll be good to go.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain

I rode 550 miles yesterday with the stock seat and a sheep skin with no issues at all...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did several 500 mile days on my two Street Glides. Of course doing it on a Road Glide and my current EG Classic is a little more comfortable 2-up with the added shock travel.

A few things to remember. You can put the lower shocks on the Classic to bring it down to Street Glide level. Also there are several options for seats including getting the stock seat modded by Mean City Cycles.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 PM
jokerx
Banned

Either of them will be a huge improvement comfort wise over a hardtail. I have no problem with 700 mile days on an SG.

Quick Reply: Long Roadtrip Comfort on a Street Glide?