Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Extreme HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks View Post
Wired mine into the two spare leads behind the headlight.
+1 on this. You can also splice into the O/R wire on the Accessory switch under the fairing insert cap. It will not use the ACC switch but will switch off with the ignition.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you wire in your Zumo?-harley-gps-wiring.jpg  

2007 Street Ultra
Stage 1: Fuel Moto Power Package, SE255 cams, Power Vision

Link to larger image
Old 07-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Road Captain
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.

I have an '04 Road King Custom, and it came with two extra switches on the chrome front end. I wired the Zumo 550 harness off the battery into the starboard switch and the fog lights into the port switch, so that power could be cut to either harness if necessary.

But I generally leave both switches in the 'on' position, so the fog lights run all the time (for visibility to cagers) and the Zumo 550 comes on when I hit the ignition.

Doc

Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone, 2009
Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Road Master

I was lazy (sorry) and bought the Harley version when I bought my bike and had the dealership wire it in using a fairing mount. They wired it so I can play the verbal directions over the radio system in the AUX position....which I never do, but it is nice to shove an 8 gig SD card into the Zumo and have it playing MP3's through the stereo!!!!

De Oppresso Liber
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
----------------------------
2013 FLHTCUSE8
Old 07-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Road Master

I just have mine on the bars and I cut off the plug from the car adapter and spliced it onto the wire from the bike mount. I just plug it into the cigar lighter and leave it there.
Real simple for a simple guy...works for me!!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt_ksu View Post
Wired my 660 directly to the battery through the tank console.
+1 for that

picture description

Old enough for the windshield, blind enough for the triple lights ;-)
Old 07-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Prospect

I had the local dealer mechanic wire into the accessory switch on console. I can turn the Zumo on and off when I want to instead of it coming on every time I turn the main switch on. Bldr
Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Rider

I went with a semi-bastardized Powerlet solution - got one short Zumo-Powerlet cable (http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...rlet-cable/265) and one short Powerlet-cigarette lighter adapter cable (http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...socket-cable/3). Works like a champ, no splicing necessary.

I had a Kury fuel-door mount on my '07, but it won't fit on the new '09 RG. I had a bunch of RAM parts laying around, so I drilled and screwed in a RAM ball on the stock fuel door. Works just as well as the Kury mount, plus gives me more options for viewing angle, height, etc, and didn't cost nothin' extra.

Best part of all this setup is it can be completely removed without tools if desired, just leaves behind the RAM ball.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:23 AM
One Of The Regulars

On the 550 - I used cig lighter plug for 3 years until I bought 660. I just cut the wiring to length and added a cig lighter plug on the end. Hard wired 660 to accessory plug under the seat. Added Delphi waterproof connectors just ouside of fairing so I could remove cradle from bike when not needed. (Trust me the 660 is waterproof as are the Delphi connectors.)
Old 08-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
I went with a semi-bastardized Powerlet solution - got one short Zumo-Powerlet cable (http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...rlet-cable/265) and one short Powerlet-cigarette lighter adapter cable (http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...socket-cable/3). Works like a champ, no splicing necessary.
I used a similar set up. Got a cig adapter extension from Wally world for less than $6, coiled version with a smaller male end than the garmin one. Plugged it into the bike cig lighter and put the excess cables in the 3 pouch case on the windshield.
Garmin 360 is mounted on a RAM mount to the left side handle bars.

Cant seem to find a clutch perch mount for an Ultra though or I would mount it that way instead of the bar mount.

2009 FLHTCU Red Hot Sunglo/Smokey Gold
ABS, Security, Fuel Moto Stage 1
(PCV, Jackpot mufflers, SE breather) SE Compensator, TL LED Headlight and Passing Lamps, Mustang Seat, LRS smoke windshield, BAL tail light.
US Army Retired 1981-2013
Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I ran a Powerlet harness from the battery to inside the batwing and replaced the cigarette lighter with a Powerlet outlet. Powerlet sells a Zuno cradle cable that plugs into the outlet. It has a 90 degree plug so there is good clearance with the tank with the forks cramped full left. I also have the same setup on my other bike with a Ram Mount on each bike.

The Zumo and the cradle can be quickly removed from the bike and stored in the TourPak for security. I also plug the battery tender into either bike through the Powerlet socket with an SAE adapter. Best of all, I can swap the cradle from one bike to the other.
Dear Woodchuck,
Did you use the PPC-015 Powerlet harness? When I spoke to someone at Powerlet, he said that some Garmin units also needed the PPC-024, which is a short cable that has a right-angle mini-USB connector. That is, one connects the PPC-024 to the Garmin, then the PPC-015 to the PPC-024, and then the other end of the PPC-024 to the powerlet socket.
I have 2 NUVIs, a 350 and a 755t. I noticed that the AC charge cable for the 350 has a shorter male end on the mini USB than the 755t. The mini USB for the 350 fits into my 755t but isn't very tight and doesn't hold well. I wondered if this is related to the need for the PPC-024.

THanks for any info you can provide...

2009 FLHTC
2005 FLSTCI
Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 AM

P

Tags
accessory, battery, bomm, gps, hard, hardwiring, harley, king, road, softail, solder, switch, wire, wired, zumo