Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This Even Possible ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Royal Tango
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Is This Even Possible ?

So, I take my '12 Electra Glide Classic in for the 10,000 mile service. Bike is completely stock, with the exception of some cosmetic stuff.

Anyway, I've never really had a problem with heat from the cat or engine. Even stock, it just wasn't all that noticeable and I've ridden in some hot places and in hot weather.

I picked the bike up this afternoon and on my 10 mile ride home, I started noticing some heat. Seemed like more heat than I had before I had the bike serviced. Service was just a 10,000 mile normal service. The only thing I did differently from any other service I've had done is that I went with Redline in the trans. I've only ever had real oil in the bike and I still do with the exception of the trans.

So, is there anything they could have done to make my bike run hotter ? I wouldn't think it possible.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Royal Tango
So, I take my '12 Electra Glide Classic in for the 10,000 mile service. Bike is completely stock, with the exception of some cosmetic stuff.

Anyway, I've never really had a problem with heat from the cat or engine. Even stock, it just wasn't all that noticeable and I've ridden in some hot places and in hot weather.

I picked the bike up this afternoon and on my 10 mile ride home, I started noticing some heat. Seemed like more heat than I had before I had the bike serviced. Service was just a 10,000 mile normal service. The only thing I did differently from any other service I've had done is that I went with Redline in the trans. I've only ever had real oil in the bike and I still do with the exception of the trans.

So, is there anything they could have done to make my bike run hotter ? I wouldn't think it possible.
Check your oil stick right away and assure it's filled to where should be.......Is the heat coming up from just one side or both?

That's why we urge all members to buy a service manual and do your own services. Saves a lot of money, headaches and questions like your asking....of course some people can't change a light bulb, so the dealer/indy are your only choices....

Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Royal Tango
Cruiser

I definitely fall into the "Can't change a light bulb" category. However, I was smart enough to check the oil as soon as I got home. It is filled to the upper limit on the dipstick (Hot, on jiffy stand). So, it's got plenty of oil. The heat was most noticeable on the right side. And, yes, I know that is where the cat is. But my point is / was that I've ridden this bike for 10,000 miles and on some really hot days and it just seemed to throw more heat today after picking it up from service (Harley dealer) than it seemed to before the service.

Or maybe I'm just losing my mind. Which is a definite possibility...

Old 07-05-2013, 08:23 PM
James K
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they re-flash the ECM?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Royal Tango
Cruiser

I didn't ask them to. I'm not even sure what "re flashing the ECM" is, but I didn't ask them to do it.

Is that normally done on a 10,000 mile service ?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:44 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

My guess is an ecm flash/update making it run even leaner/hotter than before.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

You have angered the Harley Gods with your blasphemus use of Redline trans oil, you must say 10 Electra Glide Classics and put Harley Formula + back in the trans, or the Harley Gods will roast your nuts off!!....LOL....Maybe , just maybe you noticed the heat a little more today, the Redline oil shouldn't make the trans run any hotter, ride it a few more times and see if the heat is still there or if it is like you remember it being.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 PM
James K
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Royal Tango
I didn't ask them to. I'm not even sure what "re flashing the ECM" is, but I didn't ask them to do it.

Is that normally done on a 10,000 mile service ?
It is sometimes done by the dealer (auto or motorcycle) to "help" your bike run better. You are rarely asked if you would like it done, go figure.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Turn off your heater!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by James K
It is sometimes done by the dealer (auto or motorcycle) to "help" your bike run better. You are rarely asked if you would like it done, go figure.
So, the dealer does something to folks' bikes that they're not asked to?

Interesting.

Quick Reply: Is This Even Possible ?