Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory power

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:01 PM
lock55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessory power

I mounted a GPS yesterday on my 08 SG. I plugged it in the cigarette lighter socket. Worked until I started riding then quit. Now the socket is dead. Checked all the fuses, all are good. Is there another fuse for the port? Where do you guys hook up accessories? I know Harley says not to hook anything to the lighter socket, I guess I believe them now. Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
honkerdown
Tourer

Had the same problem, when I went to use my GPS the first time. Actually the wires came loose from the lighter connection inside the fairing. To solve the problem I attached another lighter in the inner fairing at the headlight where harley has the slide connections then routed the wire through the handlebar holes in the inner fairing. Once i connected the lighter and plugged the GPS in I used electrical tape and taped the connection. Installed the outer fairing and then have access through the headlight assembly if I need to get to the lighter or GPS plug.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:11 PM
lock55
Cruiser

Thanks honkerdown for the info. Where did u mount the new lighter? Where did you draw power from? I am not so lucky, its not a loose wire on the stock lighter, I will have to figure out why its not working, I don’t smoke but still want it to work.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
honkerdown
Tourer

Didn't mount the lighter, It attaches to the wiring harness behind the headlight and then i wire tied the excess wire from the GPS up in the inner fairing. Left enough slack just in case I need to get to the plug,, if so I remove th headlight assembly and right there it is.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
lock55
Cruiser

Ok I got you now, thanks. I see the slide connections you talking about. I did find the P&A fuse is blown. I guess that is just for the lighter because I don't see anything else not working.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a lighter on my Road King, but i wired mine so that its off when the ignition is off. Its the accessory circuit, and i move the switch from the Nacelle to the handlebars along with the switch for the heated seat, etc.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM
lock55
Cruiser

Is there a way to wire in without using a lighter socket? I have it wired-in the way hunkerdown suggested. It would be a cleaner install if i could do away with the lighter plug and just use direct wiring.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind that this is coming from a mechanical moron of immense ineptitude -

I took my front fairing off for the first time last month. Normally, I don't touch anything that I know pretty damn sure I can't get back together - So that was a step. Pulled off the ignition, traced a wire or two from the accessory switch, stripped a little of it away and soldered the connections from a (HD, not that it makes a difference) power socket to it. Plugged in the GPS power** tucked it up (over the radio?) and strapped it down with some cable ties. Ran the power to the GPS up the bar. Works like a charm, took less than an hour. And now that I popped my fairing-cherry, I'm ready to replace those horrible speakers...

** Don't wire the GPS directly unless you know the output voltage of the power supply for certain - Mine is 12V in, 5V out. Run 12V to it and "boom" (well, probably a pretty quiet "boom" but I'd imagine it wouldn't be pretty).

Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 AM
kneesinthewind
Stage I
Smile How to power your accessories (2002 Touring)

Hi Folks,
You can power your accesories from a plug/outlet under the seat without cutting into wires in your harness - just get a mating plug from your HD dealer. The outlet is located on the right side of the bike (under the seat), just in front of the battery (see 2002 Touring Models Owners Manual, Pg. 55). The outlet is controlled by a switch located on the left side of the steering center column, just infront of the gas tank on my 2002 Road King. If you have a cowling, it is the right most switch on your switch console with your steering column lock in it.

Hope this helps.

"Keep your knees in the wind and the thunder down under"

Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

u dont even need the harness i got crimp on deutch conectors that fit the socket under the seat for under 1$ used a 12 volt tester to identify the 4 holes in the socket.