Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Clell
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour Pack Wiring

I recently bought a 2002 tour pack off a electra glide to go on my 2006 road glide. I cut odd the orange Deutch plug that runs my LED brake and tail light on my tour pack and put on a connector that simply plugs into my bikes plug from the left side of the bike. The one with the black,blue and red and yellow wires running into it. I can also plug the tour packs other plug into the bikes plug and have my side lights work on my tour pack. The problem is I cannot plug both in at the same time, which is what I would like to be able to do. Any help on how to wire it or if there is a Y splitter made for that?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

HD's LED for the Air Wing luggage rack includes the Y-harness you need. I don't have the PN for the Y-harness, but the PN for the LED kit is 68250-08 for the red LED, and 68271-08 for the smoked lens. Call or visit your local HD store and they can do a kit breakdown on the LED kit to identify the part no. for the Y-harness. A tech at my local HD store had installed a red LED kit on a customer's bike that didn't require the Y-harness and he later gave it to me to use when I was finishing my paint project. Worked perfectly to plug in a tour pak spoiler LED (after removing the Deutsch connector it came with, and replacing it with the connector and wire terminals mentioned below) and Ultra light harness.

Alternatively, you can make this pigtail using the parts listed below from an earlier post addressing the same issue, but in the earlier post the problem was wiring the TP lights and the Street Glide rear fascia LED light to the bike's tour pak harness:

Pigtail to plug into the TP harness to create two connections: one for the TP lights' connector, and one for the SG LED:

1. 73103-96BK (used to plug into the bike's TP harness. The wire terminals are 73190-96; three required, but they're cheap so buy a couple extra in case you screw-up the crimp--return the unused ones if you like).

2. 73153-96BK (used to create two connectors for TP and SG LED, so buy two. The wire terminals are 73191-96BK; three required for the TP lights; two for the SG LED; but, go ahead and wire both with three wires, so a total of six required, but buy a couple of extra.

Good luck with your project.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goofed up. See next post

Last edited by cmhfguy; 07-23-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master

As an aside but on a similar note... the harness sitting in the non-Ultra tour-pak that I assume would be used to power the Ultra tour-pak lights...... is it live? All the time? only when ignition is on? or ...... ????

Could be a good source of power inside the pak.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:21 AM
krussell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cmhfguy
As an aside but on a similar note... the harness sitting in the non-Ultra tour-pak that I assume would be used to power the Ultra tour-pak lights...... is it live? All the time? only when ignition is on? or ...... ????

Could be a good source of power inside the pak.
It's got ground, 12v that is on with the ignition, and another wire that is on with the brake light. It is a good source of power to the tour pack, but I'm not sure how much extra current it would handle. I use it on my classic to power an Autocom intercom unit that I have mounted in the tour pack, it draws about 100ma. I have had zero issues.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master

Thanks krussell ...

I assume the black is ground. Which is the 12v with ignition?

Thom

Old 07-23-2009, 02:13 PM
krussell
Cruiser

Thanks krussell ...

I assume the black is ground. Which is the 12v with ignition?

Thom
The Blue one.
The Red/Yellow one comes on with brake application.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:25 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master

Thanks Kevin. I will definitely make use of it! (Where can I get a plug to plug into it, other than at the dealer?)

Now does anyone know if there is a plug hanging off the Acc switch or do I have to hang one off myself? If so where is it?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Clell
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM
krussell
Cruiser

Thanks Kevin. I will definitely make use of it! (Where can I get a plug to plug into it, other than at the dealer?)

Now does anyone know if there is a plug hanging off the Acc switch or do I have to hang one off myself? If so where is it?
I cut the HD plug off, and put an SAE connector in it's place. It's what I need. You might consider doing something similar, or soldering to the wires directly if the OEM connector turns out to be a challenge.

Quick Reply: Tour Pack Wiring