Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo 660 Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Chasenfish
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin Zumo 660 Install

I'm leaving this afternoon for a 5 day trip to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Jackson Hole. Waited 'til the last minute, but installed my Zumo 660 this morning.
  • used HD p/n 91843-97 supplemental power source, but kept the lighter socket for use on another project.
  • used the RAM mount that comes with the Zumo for handlebar mount (it's very adjustable to get the right mounting and viewing angles)
  • put spade connectors on the Zumo wiring harness and sealed with heat-shrink
  • ran the wiring harness under the console (had to loosen the console and lift it to get the in-line fuse on the harness through)
  • plugged the supplemental power source into the accessory power supply (right in front of the battery)
  • plugged the spade connectors on the Zumo harness into the female ends of the supplemental power source
  • a few wire ties to secure everything
The Zumo runs off the accessory switch. If I leave the switch on, the Zumo powers up when I turn on the ignition. When I turn off the bike, or turn off the accessory switch, the Zumo gives me the option to turn off the unit or continue on battery power. If I don't do anything, it will shut down automatically in about 30 seconds. I can still turn the unit on/off using the switch on the unit.

I still have a few things to figure out, like playing the Zumo audio through the HD sound system, but I'll have 5 days to play with it and get it all figured out.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:17 AM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. I'm still on the fence as to whether to get a 550 or 660. HD version or non-HD. You haven't helped me any. LOL!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:12 PM
htc
Tourer

Of course Zumo 660! You are not buying years old computer either and it has much bigger screen too! Non HD if its cheaper. I can send you HD start screen.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Chasenfish
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HRLYSG
Looks good. I'm still on the fence as to whether to get a 550 or 660. HD version or non-HD. You haven't helped me any. LOL!

Like htc said, I like the bigger, wider screen on the 660. Mine is not the HD version (didn't want to pay the extra hundred dollars). I found plenty of HD graphics to download to the unit to use as startup screen.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:29 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasenfish
I still have a few things to figure out, like playing the Zumo audio through the HD sound system, but I'll have 5 days to play with it and get it all figured out.
I have the 660 and think it is great - make sure you have set the Route Preferences the way you want. My first trip with it the preferences was set to avoid highways - I kept thinking WTF why does it want me to go this way!

For the audio all you have to do is run a cable from the Zumo audio out jack, one of those three cables from the mount, to the Aux in on the front of the radio. Once it is connected simply change the radio mode to Aux and you should be good to go.

Turn the volume all the way up on the Zumo and use the radio volume to adjust volume.

Is your 660 the HD version or did you put the HD logo on yourself?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:41 PM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

Originally Posted by htc
Of course Zumo 660! You are not buying years old computer either and it has much bigger screen too! Non HD if its cheaper. I can send you HD start screen.
Yeah, but the 660 doesn't have XM. I need my XM. Does anybody know how I can run my XM and the 660 through my speakers. Could I splice the aux wires together? Would the 660's voice prompts trump the XM? Gotta make this work.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:52 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RockerMike
I have the 660 and think it is great - make sure you have set the Route Preferences the way you want. My first trip with it the preferences was set to avoid highways - I kept thinking WTF why does it want me to go this way!
I did something similar with my Nuvi 760. I set it to "Pedestrian" mode while I was in Manhattan (NYC) and forgot about it. For 2 days of siteseeing, all on foot in the Big Apple, I was fine.

A couple days later I take off on the highway out of town, and the damn thing kept trying to get me to take these little side roads. I was cussing that thing ... almost ripped it from the mount to throw under a bus. Then the "Duh-o-meter" went off and I realized what I'd done. Once I set it back to Auto mode it worked great ... I'm just glad I was alone so no one could make fun of me.