Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar difference between TBW and cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Handlebar difference between TBW and cable

For the members that have not had a chance to look at TBW handlebars, a couple of pics:

This is a Throttle By Wire bar ready to install. The black wire and the TBW unit are two pieces, they have a connector inside the bar:

This is the TBW unit connected to the wire:

These are the throttle grip ends of a TBW and a conventional bar

The TBW bar is notched to keep the TBW sending unit from rotating when you nail the gas, and the small gear in the unit meshes with a gear inside of the rubber grip, so if you need TBW handlebars, you need TBW grips too.

Obviously you cannot use conventional bars in a TBW system unless you notch them and cut the hole in the clamp area for the wire, but there is no reason why you cannot use TBW bars in cable throttle systems.

Regards,

The following 2 users liked this post by TooEasy:
Cozz (11-11-2016), RiverB (11-11-2016)
Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM
vette
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Great info and nice clear pics Thanks

Old 08-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is outstanding!. Thanks for taking the time to post coupled with great photographic documentation. You are an assett to this forum!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:38 AM
amckay63
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I didn't see mentioned. You can use TBW handlebars with wired throttles, but the TBW bars are 1/2" shorter on the throttle side to accomodate the sensor so you would need a spacer of some sort.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:17 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amckay63
One thing I didn't see mentioned. You can use TBW handlebars with wired throttles, but the TBW bars are 1/2" shorter on the throttle side to accomodate the sensor so you would need a spacer of some sort.

Hmmm...are you sure about that? Reason I ask is that several companies are now making ALL of their handlebars with the notch, regardless of whether they're marketing them as TBW or cable bars. One example is Wild1; all of their bars now come with the notching.

Maybe grips have all along been designed with a spacer of some sort in them...???...

ALL WILD 1 INC. PRODUCTS ARE SUPERIOR MADE IN THE USA, DEMAND THE BEST DON'T SETTLE FOR LESS!

AWESOME 1-¼" THICK, SHOW CHROME PLATED, PRE DRILLED FOR INTERNAL WIRING, POLISHED WELDS, & DIAMOND KNURLED.

WORK WITH STOCK RISERS, TOP CLAMP, CONTROLS & GRIPS. SUPERIOR CONSTRUCTION, UNEQUALED QUALITY MADE IN THE USA.
ALL WILD 1 INC. CHUBBY® BARS NOW ACCEPT ELECTRONIC THROTTLE BY WIRE.

Last edited by BlackFLHR; 10-07-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:06 PM
amckay63
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Hmmm...are you sure about that? Reason I ask is that several companies are now making ALL of their handlebars with the notch, regardless of whether they're marketing them as TBW or cable bars. One example is Wild1; all of their bars now come with the notching.

Maybe grips have all along been designed with a spacer of some sort in them...???...
Yep- several companies are advertising that ALL of their handlebars will fit both kinds. But I've never put a lot of faith in advertising. Take a look a the TBW sensor in the ad for Wild Ones in your post. It sticks out 1/2" from the end of the bar. Either you're going to have a 1/2" longer throttle side or they are sizing for the sensor and a cable throttle side will be 1/2" shorter. It can't be any other way. Maybe they're making the right side of the bars 1/4" shorter so that it will only be 1/4" shorter or longer.

Now, 1/2" may not seem like a big deal, but I like to have things symmetrical on my bike........ The MoCo and Khrome Werks must as well, since their bars are 1/2" shorter on the right for the sensor.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:20 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I noticed when I bought the Chubby's was that the throttle side was the perfect length with the sensor installed.

But the left side was about 5/8" too short, it seems they decided to cut both side the same length for some reason. not a big deal I guess unless you're using soft grips.

Here is a couple of pics.

Attached Thumbnails Handlebar difference between TBW and cable-003.jpg   Handlebar difference between TBW and cable-008.jpg  

Last edited by HarleyWood; 11-07-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Papi
Cruiser

I have a 2013 RGC that I want to put non TBW bars on. I have a set of RSD bars that I will have to cut down 1/2",
notch it for the TBW. I also have to ream the handlebar to the diameter of the TBW. Anyone know the outside diameter
of the TBW?

Last edited by Papi; 03-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Papi
Cruiser

anybody done this, can anybody measure the TBW module for me?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Good thread......

Quick Reply: Handlebar difference between TBW and cable