Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Ultra with bad crank runout

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:34 PM
356rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 Ultra with bad crank runout

My brother's '07 Ultra Classic completely lost oil pressure while on a ride. Luckily he noticed the oil light right away and ZERO oil pressure reading and stopped. He called me and we trucked it into the nearest dealer (Palm Springs HD in CA) and left it. Service manager calls next day and says the cam support plate was cracked and the pinion shaft bushing just fell out when they took it off. The FIRST question I asked was if they checked the crank pinion shaft runout and was told by the service manager "absolutely and it was in spec". Well, a few days go by while we're supposedly waiting for parts and we call back to find out the status. Service manager is on vacation so talk to the mechanic and he says the crank runout is .032in., yes, you read that right, 32 thousands!!! I'm surprised it took so long (16K miles) for the thing to fail. The engine is completely stock except for a Stage 1 and ridden as a normal tourer with regular maintenence. Unfortunately it's 9 mos out of warranty.

Palm Springs HD's never heard of any crank runout problems! That in combination with the complete BS from the service manager about the runout and that he says we're completely on our own regarding contacting Harley for any help SCREAMS that we need to pull the bike out of there. We'll be loading it up and taking it to my brother's local dealer.

How prevalent is the crank runout issue on early '07s? Has anyone had any luck getting Harley to deal with it even if it's out of warranty? Blowing an engine in 16K miles of casual touring is absurd!

Chuck

Last edited by 356rider; 08-08-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default crank

With .032 runout that sounds more like a bent crank instead of run-out. I would certainly have someone else measure this and like you said that amount of run-out should have shown up long ago. Keep us posted.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:15 PM
harley1425
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07 Heritage Classic. Crank runout was about the same, covered under warranty but they claimed it was from lugging the motor.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:27 PM
jahays32
Tourer
Thumbs up

yep glad I bought that extended warranty after reading the bad stories on this forum

Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM
jahays32
Tourer

Originally Posted by harley1425
07 Heritage Classic. Crank runout was about the same, covered under warranty but they claimed it was from lugging the motor.
well of course it was your fault. Now ride the bike like you stole it.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:37 PM
harley1425
Advanced

Bought the bike used and only rode it 250 miles, traded for a 2008 FLHT

Originally Posted by jahays32
well of course it was your fault. Now ride the bike like you stole it.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

30,000 on my Ultra now, and no problems. I have a May 07 edition. Mine seems a bit noiser now than before, but it runs like a dream. Hope your problem is resolved to your satisfaction.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
356rider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulled the bike out of Palm Springs HD - didn't like the BS from the service manager and the "you're on your own" attitude when it came to talking to Harley about this obvious factory defect. Took it to the dealer near my brother, Grand Canyon Harley in Mayer, AZ. They re-measured the crank runout, still around .032 and they assisted by calling up Harley and persuaded them to replace the engine with a factory rebuild on a goodwill warranty since it is out of the normal warranty. So far, things are looking good but we'll know for sure when the new engine arrives and it's back on the road.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 356rider
Pulled the bike out of Palm Springs HD - didn't like the BS from the service manager and the "you're on your own" attitude when it came to talking to Harley about this obvious factory defect. Took it to the dealer near my brother, Grand Canyon Harley in Mayer, AZ. They re-measured the crank runout, still around .032 and they assisted by calling up Harley and persuaded them to replace the engine with a factory rebuild on a goodwill warranty since it is out of the normal warranty. So far, things are looking good but we'll know for sure when the new engine arrives and it's back on the road.
At least the moco is looking after you. You shouldnt have needed to change dealers to get good service, that is dissapointing.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 PM
skulz1
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 356rider

Can you update this thread with the outcome of this situation? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 07 Ultra with bad crank runout