Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a Street Glide Fairing to our Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:09 PM
SokoDeployed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached is my parts list (probably missing a few odds & ends, but complete for the most) & a wiring diagram of how I wired everything from the RK harness to the interconnect harness. This will work for an '06 but I can't guarantee any other years.

For the parts list, get the parts manual for your year bike; this is a great source and will make it easier coming up with a complete list.

For the wiring, if you don't have the shop manual, get one. It is very helpful. As I stated in a previous post, it's pretty straightforward.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Attached Thumbnails Adding a Street Glide Fairing to our Road King-wiring-diagram-web.jpg   Adding a Street Glide Fairing to our Road King-parts-page-1.jpg   Adding a Street Glide Fairing to our Road King-parts-page-2.jpg  
Old 03-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Brick0044
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SokoDeployed
If you're going for a full conversion, you'll have to extend most of the wires from the RK speedo & indicator lights. I also extended the ignition switch connections and replaced my steering lock with an ignition from a Touring model. One note, make sure you get an interconnect harness from your year model as they change from year to year. It will make things easier assuming you have the shop manual. BTW, I finished converting mine last week with the exception of paint and I'm still waiting on a new dash.
A couple questions, extending the wires , did you make a wiring harness to put between your connections and the interconnect harness or cut and lengthen the wires?
What kind of dash did you go with?
Where did you get he ignition switch reasonably priced?
Thanks

Old 03-07-2010, 01:17 PM
SokoDeployed
Cruiser

A little of both; I cut the connectors (speedo, idiot lights and ignition) from the RK main harness. I extended those connections forward to the fairing and put on the connectors that mated to the interconnect harness.

The dash I'm going with is from http://www.powerproductsparts.com/ He is making me one to fit the RK tank without a filler hole.

The ignition (switch & ****); I was lucky enough to score an inner fairing cap with the ignition and dash switches from eBay. I still have an additional cap and dash switches (spot & accessory) if you're interested. I also have a brand new ignition **** w/o keys (long story)...I think you can order new keys from HD.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Brick0044
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm trying to figure out how to draw up a wiring diagram, not sure what program to use. I'm just about done with my conversion and will post my parts list and wiring diagram when finished. By the way mine is for a 09 Road King to 09 Street Glide fairing.

The following users liked this post:
halldave444@gmail.com (12-11-2021)
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 PM
johnsallat
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 52HarleyVette
I'll send you the PM's that Pumba11 and Ctmedic were kind enough to send to me
Perhaps , send me your E-Mail address and I'll send you other Fairing Info that was E-Mailed to me

I am also very interested in this can you also email your findings to me, thanks John
johnlaterra@sbcglobal.net

Old 04-11-2010, 03:42 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally almost done with my project Road King, to an Ultra, or Street Glide, Problem after problem, Sokodeployed helped a lot, thanks, now just one more issue here before my Street KIng, or Ultra King

Old 04-11-2010, 04:34 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy did the conversion to a '05 RKC and it looks sharp. He left the speedo and ignition switch in there current locations and put speakers in the holes (Two 3" mid ranges, and two tweeters plus the 51/4" speakers) for the stereo. I'll see if I can get pictures from him but the bike looks sharp.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 AM
slickscustoms
Cruiser

will stock width rk handle bars work with the lower part of a factory inner fairing or do factory bikes with fairings have a wider base at the handle bars?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slick, they are about 3 inches wider, I couldn't use the original bars with my conversion.
the switch cap made things hard to line up.
If you go purchase one of those aftermarket fairings, you won't have to do anything.
I just choose to put the OEM equipment on my roadking.
Depending on your taste, I wanted the Ultra equipment.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
slickscustoms
Cruiser

thanks i knew they looked wider. i was thinking of putting a inner fairing on mine w-out the lower cap so i could have some tunes. i guess i'll sell my fairing and buy a aftermarket one one day. thanks!

Quick Reply: Adding a Street Glide Fairing to our Road King