Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations on '07 vs. '09 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Observations on '07 vs. '09 Ultra Classic

Hey all:

I had the opportunity to trade bikes with a riding buddy the other day.

I have an '07 Ultra and he has an '09 Ultra.

The first thing I was curious about was the torque on a new bike, his '09 stock, vs. my V and H True Dual setup with a SERT tune. I got the bike with this set-up on it. I had always heard that you do lose a little torque with a True Dual set-up...I find this TRUE. The stock '09 had a bit more "grunt" from idle but quickly ran out of steam. So yes, True Duals, at least Vance and Hines with slash cut "basics" and A SERT, do lose a little torque from "off the line", but they keep going past 4000 rpm where as the stock set-up does not....Update, thanks to Scorpion....Gearing was changed between '07 and '09 on the rear (belt pulley) which apparently accounts for the "greater torque" feel...a definite improvement over previous years....

Second, I have a higher end sound system on the Ultra and yes the V and H pipes are loud. I thought I might like something quieter like stock better....A Harley on stock pipes needs a Harley sound which the stock pipes DO NOT deliver...Very "sterile" like my old Gold Wing without the Gold Wing power....I still might like less pipe volume, but stock is NOT the way to go.

Third, the brakes...I have no problem with the brakes on the '07, but the Brembos are SUPERIOR in feel and stopping power....A great upgrade from '08 and on.

Fourth, the handling...I am not an aggressive rider but I did do a little "wiggle" on the seat and I noticed less "wobble"....not a deal breaker but an improvement....

Fifth, the windshield....I changed the factory Ultra windshield early on. I did this because my line of sight was directly in line with the top of the windshield. I am one of those riders that likes to "look through" vs. over the shield. I bought the largest Harley, I think the 18". What I did not realize was how much buffeting the stock windshield gave me...The 18" gives me a "smooth ride"....Bottom line, although not popular, or so it seems, I like a taller windshield and some of you may want to try one.

Sixth, the speakers...Harley stock speakers by themselves need improvement. I have J and M s and like them. However, if you want a cheap immediate upgrade get yourselves a pair of add on tweeters. I have been using a set from Wal-Mart at $19.95 for years. They connect in parallel with the stock speakers and make a huge difference.

Seventh, the CB Antenna...I use the new shorty Harley antennas on the '07, the '09 with its factory full size antennas appears to be equal or less than in performance to the replacement Harley shorty antennas...So if you like a shorter antenna, I would recommend the Harley replacements for CB and am/fm.

Overall, both bikes are great bikes...I love my '07 with 14,500 miles.
Harley has done a nice job in the evolution of the bike since the '07...Would I trade? NO, although there have been some improvements, namely the brakes, my '07 stops "well enough". And the frame improvements I can't call "deal breaking" for the way I ride. I have no problem with the '07 frame dynamics with my bike....No bagger brace type device either.

It is nice to see however that the bike has evolved without destroying its heritage.

Bottom line...I would highly recommend any Ultra from '07 and up. I can't comment on years prior because I have not ridden them.

Last edited by Skulmn; 08-17-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Update in Spec
Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Hawnted
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the one with the 09. After riding his 07 here are my observations:
  1. I need a taller windshield. I also like to look through instead of look over, the 18" shield seems optimal for me.
  2. I need an adjustable backrest, riding his bike with a backrest was a much needed improvement.
  3. Man do I need a speaker upgrade....
  4. I cannot tell much difference on the frame after swapping, I would also not consider myself an "aggressive" rider.
  5. My bike undoubtedly has more torque. I felt like his bike was less jumpy, more smooth delivery of power.
  6. V&H True Duals with Basic slip-ons are way too loud. I love the sound of his bike and have always wondered what it sounds like from the cockpit, now I know, and I know its WAYYY too loud for me. I could use some slip ons on my stock 09, but nothing that loud.
Hopefully we can trade again at some point after my bike is more broken in with a few more upgrades and see it from a different perspective. I would also like to get out and try 6th gear on both bikes as suposedly it has been made more "usable" in 09. All-in-all it was a great experience. I am happy with my 09, but would have been fine with an 07 I do believe. It was nice to get a feel for what mods I do and don't want on my bike.

Last edited by Hawnted; 08-17-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

The TD's will hurt low-end TQ, but I think if the two bikes were identical (i.e. same year-model), the difference would be even greater. The '09 is at a handicap because 100% TP isn't achieved until about 2800 RPM, IIRC, or at least that's the way I understand the '08's to work. This is a function of the programming on the TBW and the '07's cable system allow 100% at any time.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good comparison, thanks for taking the time to post, I bet this will be helpful for folks.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Foley Fats
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The TD's will hurt low-end TQ, but I think if the two bikes were identical (i.e. same year-model), the difference would be even greater. The '09 is at a handicap because 100% TP isn't achieved until about 2800 RPM, IIRC, or at least that's the way I understand the '08's to work. This is a function of the programming on the TBW and the '07's cable system allow 100% at any time.
The throttle position limitation can be adjusted to change this in the ECM on the drive by wire bikes. At least the TTS Mastertune can change it, don't know if the dealer can.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the torque difference you're feeling is the different gear ratio's between the two bikes. I doubt the true duals on a stage 1 would leave you with less torque overall, just less then optimal when compared to a 2 into 1.
Thanks for the write-up.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
I think the torque difference you're feeling is the different gear ratio's between the two bikes. I doubt the true duals on a stage 1 would leave you with less torque overall, just less then optimal when compared to a 2 into 1.
Thanks for the write-up.
Hey Scorpion:

Please refresh my memory...What did they change gear wise? And was it from '08 and up?

Thanks,

Old 08-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

It was an overall ratio change, not transmission. So it would be the final or secondary drive ratio's. I read the ratio differences somewhere, maybe on HD's website? It was also discussed here a few months ago. I'll do some digging and get back to you with specifics.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior

07 = 66 tooth rear wheel pulley
09 - 68 tooth rear wheel pulley

This also explains why the 09 runs out of steam earlier!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you for your assessments of the '09 and '07 FLH. Based on my 3 years experience as a Forum member, I had myself convinced objectivity had been abolished as it relates to motorcycle owners and their opinions.

There's hope for the rest of the crowd although two objective reviews in 3 years wouldn't make a very strong case for it happening again in the near future.

I'm attempting to remain optimistic.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Observations on '07 vs. '09 Ultra Classic