Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle - A Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:25 AM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle - A Problem?

Would this so called thing-a-majiggy fit an Road King std.It's about 900 degrees now in vegas any gizmo to aid in cooling is a good thing!

Old 06-06-2006, 09:50 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I've got a chrome one on my SG. I think it looks good and matches my chromed lowers but I can't say that it has made one bit of difference in any kind of wind buffetting. You can special order a black one just by asking service for the Road Glide stock part.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Beemervet

HD did eliminate the baffle for cooling issues. (From HD tech on another forum) Critical cooling takes place on the top end, the baffle directs air too low. After the introduction of the twinkies HD made several suggestions to improve cooling, cooler, synthetic oil, and no baffle. If you think you need one to counter buffeting or rain, go ahead, but to think they eliminated it so they could sell you one is rediculous.

I guess it would be rediculous to the thats the reason the MoCo puts a cheap chitty seat on the bike and has plenty of nice comfortable seats in the parts catolog

Old 06-08-2006, 11:54 PM
aframe2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G, nice additions to your bike, I have a question for you that is unrelated to your post. I have a 2006 Road King Custom, just went over 1200 miles, just breaking it in, and had to put a quart of oil in it to top it off. I was a little concerned, but the dealer told me it was normal to use that amount of oil in the breakin period. Did you use oil during the time your bike was at the 1000 mile mark? Aframe2
ORIGINAL: GMONEY220

Would this so called thing-a-majiggy fit an Road King std.It's about 900 degrees now in vegas any gizmo to aid in cooling is a good thing!

Old 06-09-2006, 12:12 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

I have one on my ultra, works great looks good. I think if it was going to adversely affect cooling there would be a warning that came with it so as to save the moco money on warranty claims from hot running twinkies. Just my thought, but it sure looks like it forces air toward the motor(only makes sense since the air is redirected from the rider, has to go somewhere!)

Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 AM
ral3ph
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BH how was it putting your on i have an 05 electra std the hole i think they are talking about it looks like brake lines are in the way.could u send pics if poss.
thx

Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SubZer0
If it's so ridiculous why did they not add an oil cooler after removing the baffle then? Because they can sell you one. It's called marketing. If they thought they could sell you a $20,000 bike with out tires they would do it.
I have to say that this guy is thinking. Don't always see that.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a chrome one. I dont think it impedes cooling, HOWEVER, as an experiment I took it off, and DID notice a reduction in heat buildup under the gas tank and at the nose of the seat. While I think the motor gets cooled ok with the baffle on, it does kill the airflow at the very top of the motor, (rocker boxes etc) and that heat does build up under the tank, and flow backwards to the rider.

Im leaving mine off. The difference in rider comfort from the lack of heat buildup, outweighs the minimal (if any) reduction in buffeting I felt. Frankly, as far as THAT goes, it was a waste of money IMHO.

The following users liked this post:
JoeMacPA (02-16-2022)
Old 10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
gunnut1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one on my 07 Ultra, thought that I felt less air coming up between the fairing and the tank ( it was cool weather), rode it some with the baffle on and then took it off again to see if I could tell the difference. I could tell quite a bit of difference in the amount of air. Put it back on and it has been on during the summers also, can't tell the difference in engine heat either way and think it helps in th winter. Do not believe it runs hotter with the baffle, gonna take more than a couple of techs talking to convince me.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 came with one. When I changed to chrome I gained ten HP.

Quick Reply: Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle - A Problem?