Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping through the exhaust on decel

Old 06-07-2006, 05:54 PM
cbchev68
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping through the exhaust on decel

Hi All, new guy here..

While researching the dreaded brake squeal on the RK Custom, I have run across several posts about popping through the exhaust being caused by a lean condition.

When I bought my '05 last year, I had the dealer install SE mufflers, air cleaner and download at around 500 miles. Prior to this there was no popping from the exhaust, afterwards there was.. They told me this was normal. Now being that this is my first HD, I took them at thier word. But after reading all these posts, I'm starting to question that.

1st, is any popping from the exhaust on decel considered normal?
2nd, I dont have to worry about this causing any damage do I?

Old 06-07-2006, 06:08 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Popping through the exhaust on decel

IMO not normal.

Could be a leak in exhaust. Check gaskets.

Could also be caused by a too rich condition. Map incorrect. This fresh air mixes with unburnt fuel caused by a rich condition and detonates inside of the exhaust. It's OK if it's just popping. It is BAD if it's actual backfire which means that fresh air is getting into the exhaust further up the pipe.

Popping is caused by unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust. It's pretty normal for a bike w/ slip-ons, but it is unusual for a stocker. You may be running too rich, i.e. dirty air filter, fouled plugs maybe?

stock mapping is a little lean (for emissions) and may need a little adjustment. Find a shop with a computer and get the mapping adjusted.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
cbchev68
Advanced

This is something the dealer should be able to do, correct? or am I better off finding an independant shop?

Old 06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Nav400
6th Gear

I don't believe that you will be able to make any adjustments in your setup without buying a fuel management device, ie powercommander, race tuner, etc.

That being said, your setup should be as safe as they come without being totally stock. The download was made to work specifically with the SE Pipes and Filter (stage 1). If you are hearing a pop here and there I wouldn't be concerned, more than that I would have them check it out further.

Likely, your bike is just fine. Sometimes I think I would be better off if I didn;t look at these forums and just rode more. I read these posts and start to think that my bike has something wrong like a bike hypocondriac (sp?) or something.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Let the dealer do it. If work is done to the bike by an outside shop that might void your warranty. Besides, the dealer really ought to address this issue anyway. The decel popping is a pretty common condition, especially on the '06 bikes. Mine does it too and I'm going to have the dealer correct it at the 1K service. I know the '06's have been getting the 8 degree injectors upgraded to 25 degree with success. Under warranty too. Your '05 just might have the same issue. Pull the spark plugs and check the color of the tips. If they're white, the bike is running way too lean. Your dealer should correct this. If you have to pressure him a bit to do it, so be it.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:23 AM
reedv
Intermediate

my 01 rkc pops .stage1 slip ons ect./ its just the nature of the beast. my wifes 99 dyna carb bike never does . the cross over exhaust has a lot to do with it . my bike does not run lean and all the bolts are tight. it runs great dont go spend all this money on bs fixes just enjoy your bike. these damn things just pop and everybody will tell you to spend 100s of dollars to fix it and down the road i will still have yhose 100s and still riding without any reliability problems . dont get caught in the popping trap every road king owner stresses about just enjoy your bke , this is a harley not the space shuttle .it doesnt have to be perfect . even though the shuttle blew up . nothing is perfect these are machines made in wi. not in heaven

Old 06-09-2006, 05:09 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Nav400

Sometimes I think I would be better off if I didn;t look at these forums and just rode more. I read these posts and start to think that my bike has something wrong like a bike hypocondriac (sp?) or something.
Amen, brother. Mine pops every now and then -- for some reason when humidity is lower -- but I don't worry about it. Unless it's going off like a shotgun and big flames are shooting out the back, it isn't a problem. Now a real backfire is when the flames come out the intake. Now that's something to worry about. Just ride and enjoy.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:23 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master

I have an 05 RK with SE pipes(recently changed to V&H mufflers), Air filter, download. I too had popping on decel......But NO MORE!!!

Here's what to do:

First off I have to correct a few responses. The condition is caused by a lean condition, not a rich one. When you let off throttle, the bike needs a little more fuel in the 0% throttle position. The ONLY way to fix your problem is with a fuel manangement system. I recommend a power commander III. This will allow you to connect your bike to your PC and simply raise the fuel value on decel (0%), and eliminate your problem.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:44 PM
copperjohn
Cruiser

Anthony is right on the money,I have an 06 SG w/ V&H slip-ons,SE a/c and power commander III,The bikes even have decel popping from the factory all though with whisper quiet stovk pipes it's not really noticeble,after I did my mods the decel pop was pretty bad,talked with a local tuner (PC III Guru) he advised me to add fuel in all the 0% throttle cells from 1400 rpm up,I added 35% fuel in all the cells from 1250 up and decel popping has been totally eliminated,bike runs good.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:44 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser

My Street Glide has Stage 1, SERT, SE Racing Mufflers and pops on deceleration, even after a custom map download. According to the Dyno guy at Glendale Harley, it's endemic to the one-piece slip-on mufflers (no end-caps).

Adam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Popping through the exhaust on decel