Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Removal 07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Modee1245
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Removal 07 Ultra

I am in need of removing my tank to run some wires etc, has anyone done this process?

If so can you give me some tips, instructions etc. on removal and re-installation.

Thanks

Old 08-25-2009, 03:20 PM
nocages4me
Tourer

This may not help but when I ran my amp and led wires I unbolted the tank completely and with the ignition pulled off of the tank bracket you can get your arm under there so you may be able to do that so you don't have to mess with the gas lines.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Modee:

As you are probably aware, nothing gathered online will mean a whole lot without a Factory Service Manual............will be your #1 reference if you're serious about working on your own bike.

You can raise the gas tank up a couple of inches by removing the front and rear bolts plus the feed line at left rear. Usually gives adaquate room to run extra wires, etc. Make sure you relieve the pressure on that pressure hose prior to disconnecting.

Again, that Service Manual will outline this procedure plus supply you with the necessary torque values for re-installing your fasteners.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:53 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior

Run as much gas out of it as possible, you'll need some 5/16" gas line, two 5/16" bolts long enough to have 1/2" of unthreaded bolt and three small hose clamps. Then pull the fuse for the fuel pump and run engine till it dies, then crank it over for about 5-10 seconds to make sure all fuel pressure is relieved.
Disconnect battery and replace fuse.
Push up on sleeve at fuel fitting in tank and the fuel line should pop out, if not give a little pull and it should come out. There might be a few drops of fuel but it won't spray out.
Then pull the chrome cover off top of fuel tank and unhook fuel pump connector.
Take about 6-8" of the fuel hose and put one of the bolts into the end and secure with hose clamp, sealing one end. Cut the cross over line hose clamp on the left side of bike, pull the line off and put your thumb over end of hose while sliding the capped hose over the fitting, put the second 5/16" bolt into the cross over line and secure with hose clamp, then secure the other hose to fitting with hose clamp. Be organized about it and have every thing you need with in arms reach before you start.
CLEAN UP ALL SPILLED GAS and you will have some.
Unbolt front of tank and loosen rear, remove vent line and lift tank up till you can see the fuel gauge sending unit connector, pack some towels under front of tank to hold it up while disconnecting sending unit.
Remove rear fastener and remove tank.
Reverse for assembly, but put a little lube on the fuel fitting before sliding it back up into quik connector.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chester1957
Run as much gas out of it as possible, you'll need some 5/16" gas line, two 5/16" bolts long enough to have 1/2" of unthreaded bolt and three small hose clamps. Then pull the fuse for the fuel pump and run engine till it dies, then crank it over for about 5-10 seconds to make sure all fuel pressure is relieved.
Push up on sleeve at fuel fitting in tank and the fuel line should pop out, if not give a little pull and it should come out. There might be a few drops of fuel but it won't spray out.
Take about 6-8" of the fuel hose and put one of the bolts into the end and secure with hose clamp, sealing one end. Cut the cross over line hose clamp on the left side of bike, pull the line off and put your thumb over end of hose while sliding the capped hose over the fitting, put the second 5/16" bolt into the cross over line and secure with hose clamp, then secure the other hose to fitting with hose clamp. Be organized about it and have every thing you need with in arms reach before you start.
Unbolt front of tank and loosen rear, remove vent line and lift tank up till you can see the fuel gauge sending unit connector, pack some towels under front of tank to hold it up while disconnecting sending unit.
Reverse for assembly, but put a little lube on the fuel fitting before sliding it back up into quik connector.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by Modee1245
... can you give me some tips...
I got a tip....once tank is off, put a quick connect on the line from John Wadsworth (Herko) LINK to ebay item

Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 PM
ms3300
Road Captain

this is nothing like the removal of the tank on my 08 EGC. two screws at the front, one at the rear, disconnect the fuel line on the left side of the tank and unplug the sending unit in front of the seat, and lift off the bike..done it tens of times

Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

i just lossend up the bolt shimmed it up a inch or 2 and fished the wires through the loom.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chester1957
I'm a big believer in research prior to the first time I do anything to my Ultra. Last winter's project was replacing the stock bars with WO575s and this winter I need to run wires under the tank. Decided to take Dawgs suggestion and install a quick disconnect on the fuel crossover and also want to install chrome covers on my head bolts.

Am I the only person that thinks the manual is a little misleading. It goes into great detail about removing the console, fuel pump unit etc. My question: WHY? It's great that instructions for removing the console, fuel pump, etc. are made available but why would you do that just to remove the fuel tank??? I think the procedure outlined above by Chester pretty much says it all.

Am I missing something??

Old 01-29-2010, 06:14 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

bump +1

Last edited by peddler; 01-29-2010 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Removal 07 Ultra