Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Speed Sensor Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replaced Speed Sensor Today

Just an update for those that are needing to replace their speed sensor. I just completed the task. Service manual says just pull the seat and unclip the three prong wiring harness, and then remove the unit from the transmission, and replace. Sounds easy enough, right? Until you try to un-clip or disconnect that connection. That will require removal of the battery to get to it. Simple enough. Unless you want the wiring to run UNDER the starter motor like it was installed originally. Clearly that was wired up BEFORE the starter motor was installed. So, that will require removing the brackets from chrome cover on the starter motor...bla, bla.bla. Ended up cutting the old unit in half to it get out, and rerouting the wiring on the new model. That required removing the the right side cover and the saddlebag to get to it. None of this is complicated, it's just a pain to do when you're expecting to just snap it in, in just a couple of minutes. Maybe they're not all this tricky, but it turned out to be quite the little job. Just ranting a little, and letting you know that when you have to do it, it's a bit more than a quick plug and play, then walk away. Oh, and everything works fine now.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. When I saw what was involved, I had the dealer do it. I slept better that night.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:50 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm just hoping this new one will last as long as the first. Then I really don't have anything to complain about.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What year is your bike?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:55 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I know the first step in the manual for my '07 UC is to remove the starter. OK. The second step since the first one would be to disconnect the battery. From reading the manual, it sounds like that is the biggest PITA part of replacing the speed sensor on an '07. Not sure about the earlier bikes.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 PM
wctom
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do realize that the connector unclips from the mounting clip, which makes the connector much smaller, and I was able to pass it under the starter, but that's on a '99 Road King. I didn't realize it at first until I took a real close look at it. It also took a lot of pressure to slide the connector from the mounting clip.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:49 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wctom
You do realize that the connector unclips from the mounting clip, which makes the connector much smaller, and I was able to pass it under the starter, but that's on a '99 Road King. I didn't realize it at first until I took a real close look at it. It also took a lot of pressure to slide the connector from the mounting clip.
Well I did not know that I cut the wire, yanked it out from under the starter and rerouted the new one, it was a snap, I am sure I would have broke somthing with a hammer, not that you would even need to have a hammer on the job, had I had to reroute the new wire under that starter.
Terry

Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

My bike is in the shop waiting for a new sensor. The dealer had one on Monday but by Tuesday it had already been sold (must be a common problem?). The promised I'd have the bike back on Friday - good, the wife and I are heading out on Saturday for an extended weekend.

Thanks for the PM, Craig. I hope this resolves my issues as well as it has yours.