Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCB Brake system

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:11 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TCB Brake system

Anyone have one installed on their bike and would like to comment on it? Looks like it might work?
http://www.hdopenroad.com/reviews/tc...em-cost-value/

Old 09-08-2009, 07:17 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking about trying them for about a year. Would be very interested in some feedback as well.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked this very same question last month - got 2 replies and neither had experience with it. I hadn't seen this article....more of an ad, but if accurate, seems like there may be something to them. I'd REALLY like to hear from an unbiased person who's tried them.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 PM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

watching.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Fulmer
Intermediate

I would highly recommend avoiding these types of devices. The way they "work" is to hydraulically expand at a certain, predetermined hydraulic brake pressure thus limiting the maximum pressure achieved by the brake system and “avoiding” tire lockup. This all sounds good until you realize that your tires will lock at different brake pressures depending on the surface you are riding on (concete, asphalt, wet, gravel), loading conditions (one rider, two up, luggage), type of brake pads, brand of tires ... So, for one in a million conditions they will work perfectly and all other conditions they will either limit your maximum braking too early or too late. Limit too early and you could have stopped faster and limit too late and you're on your head. These things have been around for many years and I saw them first for cars when ABS was becoming popular 15 or so years ago. I guess now since ABS is becoming popular on bikes they are trying again to make a quick buck at the expense of your safety.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well at least only 1 person who has no experience at all with them replied.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Fulmer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by captjon37
Well at least only 1 person who has no experience at all with them replied.
I guess I should clarify further. We, the company I worked for, tested them in a laboratory 15 years ago when they came out for cars. I provided you a simplified explaination of how they work and why I believe they should be avoided. Also, I've designed brakes and brake control systems (ABS,TCS,Panic Brake Assist, VSE...) for cars and motorcycles for over 20 years so maybe that gives me a little credibility. Sorry for not stating that in my last post. And no, I haven't specifically put them on a bike and tested them. Why, because I don't need to. I, and now you, know how they work and the risks you take using them.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:00 AM
myred55
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fulmer
I guess I should clarify further. We, the company I worked for, tested them in a laboratory 15 years ago when they came out for cars. I provided you a simplified explaination of how they work and why I believe they should be avoided. Also, I've designed brakes and brake control systems (ABS,TCS,Panic Brake Assist, VSE...) for cars and motorcycles for over 20 years so maybe that gives me a little credibility. Sorry for not stating that in my last post. And no, I haven't specifically put them on a bike and tested them. Why, because I don't need to. I, and now you, know how they work and the risks you take using them.
Thank you for your response. Comments like yours is what I was looking for when I started this thread.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:32 AM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I installed one on the rear of my '07 FLHX. They come in four different "strengths"....I am totally impressed with the greatly improved feel of the rear brake. Gone (or at least greatly diminished) is the touchiness in a bad moment in traffic, but the braking effort is not increased. All it does is take the edge off a too-quick jab to the pedal. Having locked my rear brake many times over the years, I feel this device is exactly what I was looking for. I can only speak for rear brake application. I have been riding since I was 11 years old, and riding Harley Davidsons since I was 19. I believe I am qualified to say that they work in a real-world way, at least for riders that are smart enough to realize that their brakes will take different amounts of application pressure on different surfaces to lock/avoid lock. Again, all the TCB does is buffer the initial jab to the pedal; the brake will still lock up if you want it to, and brake application is easier to modulate. The best $75 I've spent in the last few years. Not theory, just fact....

Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 AM
CoachJ
Intermediate
Default I wrote the article

I wrote the article at HDOpenroad.com. I would like to state here that I am not affiliated with TCB Braking Systems, nor are they a sponsor of my website. I even bought the set that we tested. I did this because I thought it would make a great story. My 2008 Ultra has ABS, but my brother and Panman do not. The clincher was a couple of weeks ago when my brother dropped his bike on the 91 freeway in fog. His front tire momentarily locked up, causing the bike to slide. It didn't have to happen! I stand behind my articles.

Quick Reply: TCB Brake system