Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting on Street Glide - Solved

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 AM
DMcBiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lower Fairings are the answer. I've tried all the other stuff, including 5 windshields. I'm going to order color matched lowers for the engine guard and see how that works.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Magnus
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999E-Glide
Who makes them and where do you get them?
I think there are a few different ones out there but I went with the HD ones. Part # 58156-08. I ordered them from Chicago HD.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

wished they made those for the road glide instead of having to go with lower leg fairings.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the first things I added to my SG were the deflectors. They are nice and quiet and when the mercury heads up into the 90's and above, you can direct that airflow where you want it.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Chimp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DMcBiker
Lower Fairings are the answer. I've tried all the other stuff, including 5 windshields. I'm going to order color matched lowers for the engine guard and see how that works.
Wait... Lowers are the answer, but you're going to try it and see how it works? That implies it might not be the answer?

I am thinking about lowers as well. Though I will say adding the adjustable deflectors and going to a 10" windshield has cured the problem for me for the most part. At 75mph+ I still get some buffeting, which is exaggerated in any kind of windy conditions. So no complaints with my current setup.

Will try lowers this winter. Not really for buffeting, more to screen the legs and be more comfortable in the colder conditions.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Now the next "Obsessive compulsive disorder question" for myself is will I just go buy the regular deflectors OR will I go for the Yellow LED side lit deflectors with built in turn signal lights as well as running lights.

This is a sickness......

Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 8" Clearview, lowers and fairing deflctors and still get quiet a bit of buffeting. Not complaining at all as it really doesn't bother me. Just giving my results with changes I have made.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DMcBiker
Thats a more complete solution to the same problem.

The fairing air deflectors DO help. Although in my experience, they unfortunately do add to the fairing waggle when caught in Semi Truck turbulence somewhat. A fair trade-off though.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:36 PM
xmeter
Tourer

I have them on my 08 and really like them. I am also going to get the color matched lowers for the cold and rain. We should all get together and approach a dealer about a power buy. I bet we could get a better deal buying them together.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:39 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did both of those mods couple years ago and the riding has been much more pleasant...

Attached Thumbnails Wind Buffeting on Street Glide - Solved-carshowtrip-003.jpg   Wind Buffeting on Street Glide - Solved-sgrh09.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting on Street Glide - Solved