Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Back from Blue Ridge Parkway

The 61 year old biker babe and I got back yesterday from this year's bucket list tour. We rode the parkway from Asheville to Blowing Rock. I have mixed feelings about the BRP. We saw some really spectacular views (e.g., top of Mt. Mitchell, Linville Falls) but we also had to dodge a lot of bicycles (downright dangerous!) and ride many tree lined miles in which there was no view available between the good spots. Although we had planned to go on into Virginia on the parkway, after one day we decided to strike out on area highways in NW North Carolina instead.

Let me recommend US421 from Boone, NC to Bristol, TN. It's a well kept secret. Unobstructed beautiful views west of Boone give way to world class twisties between Mountain City and Bristol--and we had the road virtually to ourselves! I've never ridden the Dragon and don't plan to, but I would like to see a comparison between it and this section of 421. This road gave me all I could handle two up and loaded! You younger bucks need to get on with this sort of thing before your 60s.

On the way home we caught a Cards game at the new Busch Stadium. It is exactly what a ballpark should look like. And then we dropped down to Branson to catch Jim Stafford's show. The eastern part of the trip was dry, but we got rained on pretty good the last two days. Branson in the rain is not a cyclist's delight.

Last year: Pacific Coast Highway. Next year: Yellowstone and Glacier NPs.

Attached Thumbnails Back from Blue Ridge Parkway-002.jpg   Back from Blue Ridge Parkway-004.jpg   Back from Blue Ridge Parkway-017.jpg   Back from Blue Ridge Parkway-026.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
scatpac1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Oustanding, glad to see you guys had fun, Ill have to check out that us421..

Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Scrooge
The 61 year old biker babe and I got back yesterday from this year's bucket list tour. We rode the parkway from Asheville to Blowing Rock. I have mixed feelings about the BRP. We saw some really spectacular views (e.g., top of Mt. Mitchell, Linville Falls) but we also had to dodge a lot of bicycles (downright dangerous!) and ride many tree lined miles in which there was no view available between the good spots. Although we had planned to go on into Virginia on the parkway, after one day we decided to strike out on area highways in NW North Carolina instead.

Let me recommend US421 from Boone, NC to Bristol, TN. It's a well kept secret. Unobstructed beautiful views west of Boone give way to world class twisties between Mountain City and Bristol--and we had the road virtually to ourselves! I've never ridden the Dragon and don't plan to, but I would like to see a comparison between it and this section of 421. This road gave me all I could handle two up and loaded! You younger bucks need to get on with this sort of thing before your 60s.

On the way home we caught a Cards game at the new Busch Stadium. It is exactly what a ballpark should look like. And then we dropped down to Branson to catch Jim Stafford's show. The eastern part of the trip was dry, but we got rained on pretty good the last two days. Branson in the rain is not a cyclist's delight.

Last year: Pacific Coast Highway. Next year: Yellowstone and Glacier NPs.
It's too bad you didn't get up into Virginia, I can relate to exactly what you are saying. I lived in the Shenandoah valley in Virginia. Everyone not from the area wants to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway, if you do, it's best in the middle of the week, not the weekends. But the local riders know the best roads to ride are down in the valleys. 250, 33, 39, 42, 56, 340, 11 and numerous county roads winding up and down the valley.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 09-17-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, I live 25 minutes from the BRP in Va and never ride it. Too many rubber-neckers for me. There are far better roads to ride on. I agree 421 is a really nice road.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

421 IMO beats the dragon...cause aint no-one on it.....many, many roads in the appalachians are fantastic....great story....congrats

Old 09-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Computron
Intermediate

I went down to meet a friend in TN. We met at a hotel in Bristol. The next morning we left at 7AM for the BRP. He told me that we'd take Route 421 which would be a little warmup for the Blue Ridge. Having never been there, I was game. The next thing I knew, I was in the middle of hairpins and switchbacks with 2 up fully loaded trying to keep up with my buddy. A word of caution, have 2 cups of coffee before you tackle that at 7AM. What a blast though! Thanks for the memory

Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts
Thumbs up

Me a riding buddy did the BRP from Asheville to Boone several years ago. What a great ride. The last pic looks like it was taken on the Linn Cove Viaduct. Breath taking! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 AM
lschultz
Road Master

We just got back from a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway and rode most of the good roads going up there. Rode the Dragon and it was misting rain that day Sunday I think not to many on it. Just another rode to me want ever go back on it through much better roads. We rode up into Va and went to Fox Creek Leather already have one of there leather jackets but I wanted to see where they are made. And I wound up spending a few more $$$ there didn't have no room to carry anymore so they will ship it to the house. Lots of nice roads that wind thru the hills of Va. It was raining when we left Texas and it rained on us every day on the road. All the trips I have been on this is the most it has ever rained on us. Saw lots of scoots on the roads up that way.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 AM
gmjhd
Cruiser

Great,you guys,glad to see you had a safe and fun trip. Mike

Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 AM
jimhartman
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey - if you liked the first 15 miles or so north of Asheville, try going from Asheville to Cherokee. Fablous!

It's a layed back road with no superizes, but packed with views.

The BRP is kind of hit-or-miss for traffic. Usually just fine during the week. Don't go during the fall or the rubber-neckers will drive you CRAZY. However, if you get behind someone who won't pull over, just find one of the gazillions of great pull-overs and take a butt break.

JH

Quick Reply: Back from Blue Ridge Parkway