Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Hang Around
Red face road king engine rattle.

hi, since having a 15000 miles service on my 1999 road king classic, it now makes a brief clattering noise on start up after it's been stood for a while.anybody got any idea why?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Road Captain
genedjr@gmail.com

There are several types of noise. These are annoying, but not critical:
- A kind of chirping sound that I can trace to heat shield clamps. These clamps do not like being adjusted or taken off or messed with in anyway. But at ~$2 each, they are an easy replacment item.

- A kind of rattle that fairly quickly goes away once the bike is warm. This is attributed to the oil draining out of the top end and make a slight clacking noise until the pressure has come up and oil is once again flowing freely. No worries here.

- A more moderate clack that sound like its comming from the front when you are riding. This tends to not go away as easily and 'I' attribute this to lower oil pressure caused by wear. The cheapest fix for this is the Baisley Spring, but requires cracking the cam case open to install. But then, once you have cracked the cam case, you might want to spring for a better oil pump.

Given what you said, I am going to assume its just a dry top end and once oil of flowing again its alright. You should be OK.

When the noise is constant, have it checked. It may be a issue, but then again it may be nothing. But have a trained or very experienced person check it out.

...gene
Thundermax w/Autotune
Max Power 71.22, Max Torque 80.54 @6000ft elevation (pre-TMax)

Last edited by genedjr; 09-17-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Road Captain
Send a message via AIM to CW4_131A

+1 to what genedjr said. With a '99 its possible the pump is starting to show wear. Better an inspection / new pump than a failed pump and a blown engine. Best have a wrench check her out. (Is she a she if your a she? I never got that one right.)

Ride like there's no tomorrow
Live like you'll die tonight
Love like there's no other in the world
Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM

P