Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Fatboy Wheel on a 99 Ultra ? Someone must have tried this ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM
HarleyDavidB1967
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Fatboy Wheel on a 99 Ultra ? Someone must have tried this ??

I've searched the net and have come close in finding little bits of info but nothing close enough to go ahead and do it.

Like the title states.. I have a 99 Ultra and a set of very nice 2003 fatboy wheels with floating disk, it's easy for me to get the second matching front rotor. I'm just limited for time and space to pull the bike apart and check for how these may or may not fit on my bike ?

Hoping someone has had the same idea or has done it.
Thanks,
HDavid B.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:28 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Don't know about your baggers fron wheel setup, but as far as softails go, 1999 have unsealed bearings for teh wheels and 2003 has sealed bearings. 2003 softails have 3/4" bearings. Find out what bearing size you have and look to see if they are sealed or not. It's easy to tell.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM
HarleyDavidB1967
Novice

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Don't know about your baggers fron wheel setup, but as far as softails go, 1999 have unsealed bearings for teh wheels and 2003 has sealed bearings. 2003 softails have 3/4" bearings. Find out what bearing size you have and look to see if they are sealed or not. It's easy to tell.
I do have the 3/4 sealed bearings in my 99 Ultra, same bearings that are in the 03 fatboy wheels. I just need to information for spacers and/or offset of the disks, also need to figure out if the rear rim will take my Ultra's disk and pulley ?

I didn't want to pull the bike off the road for too long since there is not much ride time left this year... by end of October it's pretty much time to pack it away. Was hoping to fit these on and move onto other stuff, get ready for next season. If they won't fit I would just sell them and try another option for wheels.

The **** we do to make our bikes look different or at least look good to us !!

Old 09-22-2009, 12:43 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

I don't know about the spacers for that setup unfortunately. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a question, but why would you put a solid mag on a 900 lb motorcycle? Thy're bad enough to deal with in a strong crosswind on a fat boy much less to think about them on a bagger.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 AM
HarleyDavidB1967
Novice

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
Just a question, but why would you put a solid mag on a 900 lb motorcycle? Thy're bad enough to deal with in a strong crosswind on a fat boy much less to think about them on a bagger.
Agree with the weight issue, after a Niagara Falls Wine Country Ride with my wife this past weekend.. my arms are killing me. Bottles of wine quickly weigh down a bike packed with clothes and other stuff. I had to use 2 hands to brush my teeth Monday morning !!

Anyway...
.. when a wheel is spinning, does a cross wind ( even a strong one ) actually go through the rim ?? I'm curious to set my bike on a lift, pull my rear bags off and run rear tire up to 25 mph. Then take an air hose and force air across the rim, would it get through or will the spinning action make it like a solid wheel ??

With a car rim you can direct the air out or inward to help vent the brakes, but on a bike you can't. Air comes from what ever side has less resistance, plus we have dual disk covering most of the wheel which also deflects air away from the rim.

My idea was to run the rear rim as a solid ( you can't see it anyway ) and have the front one machined ( have a local shop that can do it properly and cheap ). The rims are already polished and in perfect shape.

Run a stock front size tire and at least run a 140 on the back, don't think I can squeeze in a 150 on the stock rim ??

So... there is my plan !

Last edited by HarleyDavidB1967; 09-23-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:39 PM
8upFLHRI
Advanced

i have 02 FB rims on my 03 RK, heres what i can remember

turn down the right side of the front wheel so the rotor will slip over the bearing area

bore out a sportster pully spacer (40911-81 i think) to fit over the bearing area and use it as a spacer for the right side rotor , not sure if it was machined down or not.

now install the wheel backwards , the offset is different so it lines up better this way

reverse the wheel spacers left to right , some or all needed to be machined down some to center the wheel

right side caliper gets spaced in 1/8"

the back wheel bolts right on

my bike rides very straight and smooth with these

hope some of this helps with your project

also i had to change the bearings on my wheels to 1" , i had to have the center of the wheels bored out to accept the 1" axle spacer sleeve , the bearings went right in with no mods

Attached Thumbnails 03 Fatboy Wheel on a 99 Ultra ? Someone must have tried this ??-road-king-040.jpg  
Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
HarleyDavidB1967
Novice

Originally Posted by 8upFLHRI
i have 02 FB rims on my 03 RK, heres what i can remember

turn down the right side of the front wheel so the rotor will slip over the bearing area

bore out a sportster pully spacer (40911-81 i think) to fit over the bearing area and use it as a spacer for the right side rotor , not sure if it was machined down or not.

now install the wheel backwards , the offset is different so it lines up better this way

reverse the wheel spacers left to right , some or all needed to be machined down some to center the wheel

right side caliper gets spaced in 1/8"

the back wheel bolts right on

my bike rides very straight and smooth with these

hope some of this helps with your project

also i had to change the bearings on my wheels to 1" , i had to have the center of the wheels bored out to accept the 1" axle spacer sleeve , the bearings went right in with no mods
PERFECT !! figured I couldn't be the first person to think of this

Lucky for me the 99 Electra glides are 3/4" so I save some time and work for the bearings. I glad the rear will just bolt in, at least I can install that now and work on fitting the front during rainy days.

Thanks for all your input.. It was a HUGE HELP !!
Take Care.

Harley DAVIDson B.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 PM
spunner
Stage III
Default Awesome!

Actually, this is the exact reason I joined the forum! I have an 03' Ultra and want to put solid "aka fat boy" wheels on her. I am a product of the 80's and had Center Line wheels on all my cars growing up. I just like the look. I came to the site to see if someone else had tried it. If so, did they get it to work? Seeing the dual disc on the solid wheel of a touring model was sexy enough by itself, but having instructions how to do it myself was even better!
As far as the "cross wind" issue of solid wheels, I call BS. My reasoning for that is this: The wheels are down near the ground, being much less effected by cross wind than something such as a the front fairing which is higher and about the same cross section. So what about a solid rear wheel, you can't even see that due to the saddle bags (also solid) and let's not forget the tour pack or even a passenger sitting up there catching the cross wind and having a much greater effect than any wheel. Think of the area that can catch a cross wind, and start multiplying it the further you go from the ground. Baggers get blown around more than the smaller bikes because of all the extra "baggage" (no pun intended) but in my opinion, solid wheels are not going to increase the cross section enough to make any real difference.
Maybe I am wrong and am going to get pushed off the road to my demise because of a solid wheel. However, physics tells me that isn't going to happen.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the solid wheel myth like some how the cross winds just blow right through our spoked wheels spinning at 70 mph

Quick Reply: 03 Fatboy Wheel on a 99 Ultra ? Someone must have tried this ??