Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler install

Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Oil Cooler install

Recently I got a 2010 Ultra Classic. I initially was going to get the Limited but decided that if I wanted more power I could just take out my Buell or XR1200.

I didn't like the two tone paint either. I like any color as long as it is black.

I did want the luggage rack for the tour pak and the dealer threw that in but uninstalled. Also I wanted the oil cooler and I got it for 20% off.

I did the install today and the rack was very easy with the included template.

The oil cooler turned out to be simple also. Remove oil filter. Remove the mounting stud with a socket. Place the adapter with a gasket against the face where the oil filter used to seal and secure with a new stud that holds the adapter in place and accepts the filter. Remove the voltage regulator and unplug the connectors. Put the oil cooler, chrome cover and mounting plate together and place over the studs from the voltage regulator. Then put the voltage regulator back on and bolt it back down. Put the oil filter back on and install the two oil lines which are secured with hose clamps.

With my hands the reinstalling the two nuts for holding the regulator and cooler in place was hard to do. Not much room. Also plugging the regulator was had to get the right side lead back into it's socket as there was not much slack and tight quarters.

Here are the pics that I took. One is the bike on the 4 post car lift that I installed a Condor chock. one is a pic to show the cooler in place but not the regulator to show the hose routing. A pic from the left side show the filter area and hoses. They are hardly noticeable. One low shot of every thing in place. The chrome housing for the cooler is a waste. It angles down and is so buried that it can hardly be seen.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info and pics. Been thinking of doing an oil cooler on my '09 RK just as a precaution. She doesn't seem to get all that hot actually, no pinging and the plugs look good (totally stock bike), but I may do it this winter anyway.

It looks like the oil lines are routed differently than they were on my '05 EGC. Can anyone confirm that? I'm just going from memory.

Last edited by Arizona; 09-22-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:30 AM
laytonj1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed the HD Premium oil cooler on my RK last week. Had the dreaded adapter gasket leak. Took it back apart and coated the gasket with Indian Head gasket shellac. Leak fixed. Seems to run cooler. It doesn't go into heat managment mode as often when stuck in hot afternoon Tucson traffic.

Jim

Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,794 Likes on 8,395 Posts

When installing the H-D oil cooler, you will get leaks around the adapter if you don't have it rolled enough forward. There is a tab on the adapter that sticks into the casting on the engine. If the tab is to far back it will bottom out in the casting which will prevent the adapter oil seal from fully seating onto the casting.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:02 AM
pmcburne
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put one on my 07 Road King and right away noticed a problem. Rocks and other road debris were pounding over the fins on the core. I installed a small screen in front of the chrome cover and that eliminated the problem. I have seen one cooler that had a stick shoved through it and another that was so pounded flat that it wasn,t letting cooling are through it.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Towboater07
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to love the four post car lift. I have one and use it for the bike also, works great.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

getting mine done OCT 1... oil cooler and temp gauge...