Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error Code 99 Loss of Idle Speed Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
CrazyMC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error Code 99 Loss of Idle Speed Control

Greetings,
43,000 miles and going strong, well sort of. I got an error code 99 Loss of Idle Speed Control on my 2003 FLHTI when coming back from Laconia. My speed sensor has been eratic. I removed, cleaned, and replaced the speed sensor. Will a defective speed sensor result in a loss of idle speed control?
James

Old 06-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Default RE: Error Code 99 Loss of Idle Speed Control

Crazy,

Yes, a faulty speed sensor will affect your engine's idle. If you've cleaned it and it still didn't help, you need to replace it. Your speed sensor handles: idling, turn signal cancellation, cruise control, and speedometer.

ORIGINAL: CrazyMC

Greetings,
43,000 miles and going strong, well sort of. I got an error code 99 Loss of Idle Speed Control on my 2003 FLHTI when coming back from Laconia. My speed sensor has been eratic. I removed, cleaned, and replaced the speed sensor. Will a defective speed sensor result in a loss of idle speed control?
James

Old 07-06-2006, 01:16 PM
CrazyMC
Intermediate

Development!
It appears that my rough idle condition only exists when at 1/2 tank of gas or less. Bike also bucks at cruising speed. From my forum search it appears to be a internal tank hose leak or faulty regulator. Anyone with suggestions please let me know.
Thanks,
James

Old 07-14-2006, 01:05 PM
CrazyMC
Intermediate

Success!
It was the hose between the fuel pressure regulator and exterior fitting on the gas tank. HD designed the hose too long and over time (45K miles) the ribbed hose developed pinholes due to rubbing against the inner wall of the gas tank. When I went to the dealership they sold me a redesigned (shorter) hose. While at it I changed out my fuel filter. The bike runs like new! I can only wonder how long I have been riding with this condition. I did use the old hose as protection for the new one! I cut the old hose long ways and rapped it around the new one. This was just incase if it should ever rub in the tank again! This should definitely be an FYI for long distance riders!
Take Care and Ride Safe!
James