Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Hang Around
Default Fitting 07 shocks on a 09 Street Glide...

I'm researching this, and for whatever reason, it seems that the 07 13 inch Road Glide Shocks will fit my 09 Street Glide, but my 09 Shocks will not fit the 07 Road Glide. Is this correct? If so, why?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Ultimate HDF Member
SPECTREtoo7

I posted in the guy's thread with the Road Glide as well. I am not completely sure. I think they will bolt up, but its a matter of the actual internals of the shocks. I am pretty sure the recommended psi for the shocks changed in '09. Also, I had, at one point, contacted Progressive because a guy on ebay had a set of 440s on ebay for a good deal. He had a 08. The people at Progressive told me that the shocks would fit, but I would most likely bottom out a lot because they weren't the shocks designed for the 09s.....If you and the other guy don't come to some kind of deal, let me know. I am looking for some SG shocks. I didn't really want to give my stock one's up just in case I don't like the ride on the SG shocks, but who knows.....

09 CrossBones- 14" Wild 1 Outlawz, forward controls, Bassani Road Rage 2-1, SE A/C, Woods TW-555, and a PCV
2012 Road Glide Custom
Old 10-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Not sure what the difference is, but I can tell you that the '07-'08 bikes rode like a Cadillac compared to my '10. My '10 feels more like a lowered Mustang, even after the swap to 13" shocks...
Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Ultimate HDF Member
SPECTREtoo7

JCleary, how much air are you running in your shocks?

09 CrossBones- 14" Wild 1 Outlawz, forward controls, Bassani Road Rage 2-1, SE A/C, Woods TW-555, and a PCV
2012 Road Glide Custom
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Jim in Oklahoma

bighaeb, check with howard at motorcycle metal, he's a sponsor in here and builds shocks. If anyone would know, it'd be him. he builds the penske and ohlins shocks, so he would be very experienced with what will and what won't work. i think his company logo is a yellow triangle with a red background??? anyway, hope this helps you. i've got an 08 streetglide and if i end up keeping it, i'm going to get a pair of the ohlins for it. the reduced ride height just doesn't work well for me on my 08 steetglide.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Hang Around

Thanks for the replies. Hopeing to get to the bottom of this soon as I've got someone waiting to send me his 07 Road Glide shocks and he wants my 09 SG shocks sent back to him. I'd hate to have one of us caught in the middle with a product that won't work right.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettnbama View Post
JCleary, how much air are you running in your shocks?
Well, I started low, at 15. I've played with it in increments up from there. I'm at 28 now and it's smooth over highway bumps, the long-travel ones. The dampening, however, on these new shocks is WAY stiffer. Great when riding two-up at 40psi, not so great unloaded and solo. The high-frequency small bumps go right to my spine.

Not complaining too much, as I love the handling of the new frame vs. the old. But it would be nice to have preload/rebound adjustments like on my old K1200GT. That thing handled as well as a 600lb sport bike could, and rode like a Caddy. Why can't Harley figure it out?
Old 10-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Club Member

That explains why I do not like the 09-10 models.
I do not like the way they ride
I prefer my 07

dd

2010 wide glide ss106, 2005 super glide pro twin 113 trike, 2012 cvo street glide.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Ultimate HDF Member
SPECTREtoo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCleary View Post
Well, I started low, at 15. I've played with it in increments up from there. I'm at 28 now and it's smooth over highway bumps, the long-travel ones. The dampening, however, on these new shocks is WAY stiffer. Great when riding two-up at 40psi, not so great unloaded and solo. The high-frequency small bumps go right to my spine.

Not complaining too much, as I love the handling of the new frame vs. the old. But it would be nice to have preload/rebound adjustments like on my old K1200GT. That thing handled as well as a 600lb sport bike could, and rode like a Caddy. Why can't Harley figure it out?
Mine are at 14 psi, which is in the suggested range according to the owner's manual. I would think running a bunch of air in there would give it that lowered Mustang feeling you were talking about.....

2012 Road Glide Custom
Old 10-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Sponsor

I am 100% sure they will fit physically but why would you? Here is what is inside of them. You guys spend much on eats and chrome, why not forgo this and look into what can be done with the ride. Is this not the reason why you buy a bike, to ride it? No one deserves the ride this gives you.
Click the image to open in full size.
~Contact via e-Mail~
use my own e-Mail: howard@motorcyclemetal.com
http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/contact.html
Old 10-20-2009, 06:00 PM

P

Tags
09, 2009, caddies, davidson, dyna, fit, glide, harley, length, shock, shocks, size, street, touring, ultra